Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:59 AM   #1

I am going to be purchasing my firt DLSR, upgrading from a point and shoot for bird photography. The main question I have is can sigma and tamaron long zoom lenses be used on most brand name DSLR bodies like: Sony; Canon; Nikon etc. Thanks for any information or input on this.
06Honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Administrator

Not all lenses are available in all lens mounts. So, make sure the lens you're interested in is available for the camera mount you choose. The mounts are different between camera brands, and you'll have to order the lens desired in that specific camera brand's mount.

Also, be aware that with Nikon's entry level models (D40, D40x, D60), lenses you purchase must have a built in focus motor. That's because Nikon did not include a focus motor in these bodies (even though every other Nikon DSLR ever made has a focus motor built in).

So, that can limit your choices if going with a Nikon entry level body (the majority of third party lenses, and a number of Nikon's own lenses won't Autofocus on these camera bodies). Originally, only Nikon's AF-I or AF-S (Silent Wave Motor) and Sigma's HSM (Hypersonic Motor) type lenses would autofocus on them. But, we're starting to see some lenses with traditional focus motors in the lenses for them now, too.

More and more lenses from Tamron, Sigma and others will probably be made with built in focus motors as time passes for compatiblity with them. But, for now, check to make sure a specific lens is compatible with these bodies if you go with a Nikon D40, D40x or D60.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:56 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to Steve's.

It depends on the lens and what you call long zoom (are we talking Sigma 300-800 )

If you check out the websites of Sigma http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all.aspand Tamron http://www.tamron.com/lenses/default-photo.aspyou will see the options you are interested in and which will work with specific manufacturers. Be aware that with the Nikon D40 and D60 a lens needs to have a motor built into it otherwise you won't have auto focus.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:57 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Jim, please don't post while I'm writing!!!! :blah:LOL
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 2:03 PM   #5

Thankyou both for the good feedback, I'll use this for sure.
06Honda is offline   Reply With Quote