Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 21, 2003, 9:55 AM   #1

Default Appreciate camera buying advice: Kodak DX6490/Olympus C-740

Hello everyone,

I am looking for any advice I can get. I'm deciding between the two cameras mentioned above. While the Olympus has 3.2 megapixels and the Kodak has 4, the zooms are equal. I'd like to purchase the camera that will give me the best pictures, and I'm not sure exactly what to look for in the specs beyond megapixels and zoom. I am willing to learn the camera settings, and am not necessarily concerned with ease-of-use comparasins, unless one is particulary difficult across the board. Also, I prefer to do my editing with software vs. use the sephia etc. settings on the camera.

I've included links to Steve's reviews if anyone would be so kind as to look at the specs and give me their advice.

Thanks so much.

Vanessa

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/c740uz.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/dx6490.html
Vanessa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2003, 11:51 PM   #2

I think you should widen your search just a little bit. I vote for 3+ megapixels rather than 4. Good luck
mrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 1:10 AM   #3

Also, another factor, is your budget...
Take a look at Panasonic's Lumix DMC-FZ1...

It maybe only 2 Megapixel, but that stabilized 12x Optical Zoom sure is something to consider!
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 6:44 AM   #4

Hello - If you are willing to learn the settings, I'd go with the C-740. The Olympus UZ C series cameras are an excellent value for the money, with A LOT of manual settings and the 10X optical zoom. I have really been pleased with the results - I'll post my website if you would care to look. All of these photos were taken with an Olympus C series, most with a C-730.

http://community.webshots.com/user/johnwmitchell100

I think the secret to being happy with this camera is learning the many manual controls to the point you can use the setting you need without thinking too much about it. It does not have image stabilization, but if you're an above average photographer you can live without it. All of the zoom & action images on my site were made handheld. A word of caution - you will get purple fringing on certain type shots with these cameras, usually shots with strong backlighting with sky. However, this effect can be readily reduced or elimiminated in PhotoShop Elements with a couple of basic edits. It is my understanding, however, that Olympus has reduced this tendency in the C-740 & C-750. I hope this helps. Best - john
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 11:07 AM   #5

Hi John, thanks so much for replying. I'm don't know that I'm an above average photographer. I'm switching from a point and shoot - trying to take it up a level. I've always been interested in learning about good digital photography and am willing to make a time investment in doing so.

Your comment on image stabalization concerns me. Again, I'm not fully educated in this area, but I've heard that without image stabalization, any pictures taken at full zoom will be blurry. My goal here is to get photos that are sharp and have great color.

I tried searching the Kodak review to see if it had any sort of image stabalization, but I couldn't find any mention.

I've also noticed that the Kodak has an advanced color chip (whatever that is). Do you feel that I'll be able to get the same quality of color with the olympus?

My point and shoot was an Olympus. It gave me great pictures and i'm loyal to the brand. However, the Kodak tempts me because it has higher mexapixels, a larger LCD screen, and the mysterious color chip.

Thanks again for your response.

Vanessa
Old Sep 25, 2003, 11:31 AM   #6

Neither camera has image stablization. I received my C740Z yesterday. I had time to take a couple of sample shots and was very pleased with zoom capability. You can look at the photos at:

http://www.pbase.com/gibsonpd3620/c740z_photos

My wife purchased the camera for our 35th wedding aniversary. The camera has great flexibilty with a wide arrange of controls and settings. It also has automated settings for various shooting techniques.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa1
Your comment on image stabalization concerns me. Again, I'm not fully educated in this area, but I've heard that without image stabalization, any pictures taken at full zoom will be blurry. My goal here is to get photos that are sharp and have great color.
Many people are misinformed about the zoom. If you take full zooms in daylight, you shouldn't have any problems. If you try to take it indoors, forget it, without a tripod anyway.

With experience, you get to know what's possible...for instance for any shot you have to be 1/30th of a second or faster shutter speed or else you will notice camera shake (just from you holding it). For full zoom, you need 1/focal-length shutter speed, for the full zoom you need 1/400th of a second for the sharpest picture, although I've gotten handheld shots at full zoom at more than that (1/250th). Here's some examples of handheld zoom shots using the Olympus C-700, courtesy of the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group:

Full wide angle (38mm)
http://www.pbase.com/image/6328792
Full optical zoom (380mm, some digital zoom snuck in, actual 407mm)
http://www.pbase.com/image/6328791
Full digital zoom (1020mm)
http://www.pbase.com/image/6328790
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 12:52 PM   #8

A lot of good info. I think image stabilization is kind of like having a sunroof on a car - it sounds like a good idea and its nice to have, but most people don't have much of an ocassion to need it. Now, I know there are A LOT of UZ 2100 users out there who take great photos with their IS camera, but I think most of those photos would be pretty good without IS. IS will help on zooms and motion shots, but as you use any camera without IS, your photos will get better and better as you get the feel for the camera. In the end , however, YOU have decide what couple of features are really important to you. If IS is important, than you you should get it - otherwise you're going to feel deprived and suffer the dreaded consumer remorse!
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 4:04 PM   #9

Hi Vanessa__

Welcome to the forum

You are already there by inserting links to the two cameras.

I would rate a slight edge to Kodak (even though I am
an Oly owner!) for four reasons:

1. One more Megapixel.

2. Outstanding lens.

3. Beefier camera.

4. Subjectively, on Steve's sample pics, the photo of the candies
is significantly bolder and sharper to my eye

Good luck

P.S. If you have the Kodak then you can sing...Paul Simon's
"Kodakchrome"

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 5:48 PM   #10

Lol - how many will yell at me if I admit that I've never heard of "Kodakchrome"???

Still mulling it over......