Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:18 AM   #1

Help!! Someone wants to use one of my pictures to make prints and sell at some restaurants he owns. He said he will pay for limited use to make 50 copies. He said he's done this before, but wont give me info on what he's willing to pay. I do not want to surrender copyright. Please tell me what I need to know, and any reasonable price quotes . Thank you!
MustangSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:32 AM   #2

Sell him the images print by print and only give him prints or else he might sell them beyond what you know. I'd figure out what size he needs and then price what it will cost you to get a print and add some profit into that.

I've never sold my images in that manner so I can't tell you what to charge. I usually sell CDs or DVDs of the jpeg images to a corporation or newspaper and charge them by the hour that it took me to shoot the images.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 12:01 PM   #3

Thank you Dave for your sensible Suggestion. That's the same answer I received from a Commercial Photographer friend and another photographer.
MustangSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:11 PM   #4

to me thats the wrong way to go about it, and deffinatly wrong if cost has not been discussed, whats the correct way is for you to supply the images and him to make a comission on the sales

what you need first is an idea of the price.......no price no go !!!

and how do you know he will only just print 50 and no more, the only way i can see it is if u have 50 done and sell them to him, i know a company that gives 50% discount for 20 images at a time.

also have them copywrite stamped on the back too so no one should copy them, and if they do they you are able to prosecute them.

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 7:52 AM   #5

I presume that you're asking this question because no one has ever wanted to buy your photos before.

No one has ever wanted to buy any of mine either, but if someone came to me with an offer like that, here's what I would do. Give him (as in, 'for free') 50 prints, each of which has your copyright discreetly in the image somewhere, and your name and phone number on the back, and let him sell them for whatever he wants.

This may result in referrals which might make a lot more money for you in the long run.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:08 AM   #6

thats sound advice TCav

it similar to the way i do it, i have furnished a pub and guest house with framed images for decoration, and in the case of the guest house, for sale of the wall.

they get free decoration and i get sales or work out of the deal.

the only drawback is the cost.......prints are cheap enough.......but frames are not, through hard work and lots of searching i get trade price for frames and mounts, this makes it affordable. but the frames alone at trade cost me best part of £150 ($300) for the guest house, and as i have my own large format printer cost of prints was minimal

would love to see the picture MustangSheila as had intrest in :-)

also would like to know how its developed since she posted

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:51 AM   #7

Just to offer some additional thought.

When I do photo work for a local corportation that wants me to take photos for them (such as I did two weeks ago at the local bankbranch opening)and deliver them on CD I charge $50 per hour which includes 2 complete discs of the photos. I also have a contract signed that a lawyer friend of mine set up for me that lays out the uses for the photos. More often than not the corporations want them for advertising, press and in house prints for their offices etc so they don't end up selling them...... Also the contract states I ALWAYS get photo credit when a photo is released to any source.

hope this offers so hindsight

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote