Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 5, 2008, 9:51 AM   #11

Thanks. I noticed that those drives are SCSI, have you seen sATA ones?
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 9:53 AM   #12

Online storage is pretty inexpensive. Carbonite.com claims unlimited storage for $50 per year.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 10:02 AM   #13

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Photo 5 wrote:
Quote:
... Almost all the people I talk with suggest multipule backs of different types.
You've been talkingwith some smart people.
What TCav said.

In addition to many copies on many different kinds of media, keep them in many different locations. Your house, your mother's house, at work, a bank vault in Switzerland, ...

And keep moving your backups to new/better/bigger media as it becomes avialable/affordable. How many people today can read a single sided eight inch floppy? Five chanel paper tape? How many DVDs would it take to hold one High deffinition two hour movie?

That gets very ridiculous very quickly, and no backup system will be absolutely safe. The best you can do is reduce the chance of loss to a very small number that will never be zero.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 11:09 AM   #14

pagerboy wrote:
Quote:
Thanks. I noticed that those drives are SCSI, have you seen sATA ones?
No. These are frequently used in jukeboxes, where the extra intelligence of SCSI devices is necessary. For instance, the host needs to delay the eject command until there is a carrier in position to accept the disk. SATA devices aren't smart enough to do that.

SCSI devices are a lot smarter than SATA devices, and because of the processing power in the devices themselves, they take over some of the workload that the host processor would have to do if it were dealing with SATA drives. I used to use only SCSI hard disk drives in my computers until the cost difference became too great. There are now a lot of SATA RAID controllers available, but they have to do a lot more work than the SCSI RAID controllers that preceded them.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 6:06 PM   #15

There are lots of ways to back up.

I recommend all of them.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 6:26 PM   #16

TCAV

thanks for all the info. Looks like I am gonna stay with using CD/DVDs and hard drives in my netgear storage central for now. Once blueray gets cheaper and more common i will start to use that to make copies I can put in a safe depostit box and have less discs sitting at home. I plan to move my original DVDs/CDs afer I get blueray discs burned to my cosuins house that has a finished basement and room to store several box of discs for me........

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote