Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 5, 2008, 9:54 PM   #11

I've flown a couple of times in the last few months, once on United, once on Delta. Both allowed one carry on, and one personal item. I packed my Lowepro mini trekker in a large duffle and had my laptop. I had no issues...just make sure you have you're camera bag open for inspection when checking in. No way am I checking my camera gear. I don't trust anyone with a couple of grand of my equipment.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 10:32 PM   #12

While what you say is true Mr. Hun...regarding the order in which people are boarded (e.g. people needed assistence/kids, business class and then econo) I have yet to board a plane that is a "continuation" flight. So far anyway.

Assuming I make it past check-in with a carry-on and a personal item. I should be able to board with the two items. At that point, should there be no overhead space, I think they should be able to find space for one of my items. Or so I'd assume.

Any how hopefully my luck won't run out when I fly. I've flown easily over 35 flights in my lifetime.

I won't be checking in my given the choice).

I'll update when I call the airlines to make sure how many carry-on items we can carry. With UA, AA or Southwest (not sure if they fly from TO to LA). So I probably won't post for a few weeks being as I won't be flying for a few months.

Thanks for the posts guys!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 6:29 AM   #13

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
All checked baggage now gets x-rayed...someone will know there is a very expensive camera in your bag, disguised as underwear - you can't hide a camera from the x-ray machine. Checked bags are randomly selected to be opened and searched. Someone will get a nice surprise when checking out your underwear - oh look - a nice D300 with lenses!!!
If someone wants to steal something, they're going to steal something. But you don't have to make it easy for them by packing all your expensive photo gear in a single bag.

And when a bag gets x-rayed and hand inspected, only the x-ray tech and the inspector learn about your expensive photo gear, not every baggage handler between the departure gate and baggage claim.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 8:35 AM   #14

I wasn't necessarily concerned about the baggage handlers stealing the cameras. They only render them inoperable.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 12:03 PM   #15

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
I wasn't necessarily concerned about the baggage handlers stealing the cameras. They only render them inoperable.
So, you beleive that the x-ray techs and the inspectors, who are under almost constant scrutiny, are more likely to steal your expensive camera gear that the lower paid baggage handlers who can do anything they want any time they want anywhere along the way, with no one the wiser?

They don't actually have to steal anything that looks interesting. They just have to tear off the baggage claim tag, so it doesn't get to your destination, and set it asside so it'snot available tobe identified as yours. Then, a week later they turn it in to 'lost and found' and wait until the next auction of unclaimed baggage.

That would certainly render expensive camera gear as inoperable, but only as far as the original owner is concerned.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 12:30 PM   #16

The airline baggage handlers probably make more money than the government employees who operate the x-ray machines and perform the manual baggage inspections.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 5:06 AM   #17

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
Warning: There is no such thing as a case that will withstand the onslaught of airline baggage handlers!!! They are professionals, and pride themselves on being able to throw, kick and slam luggage with reckless abandon...and that's while you're watching them...imagine what goes on while you patiently wait at the carousel for what's left of your bags.
I agree with the above, absolutely. It's not a good idea to send a camera via checked baggage. I've seen these guys throw boxes and suitcases onto the conveyor belt, with those luggage bouncing quite violently onto the platform, and this is while everybody in the boarding lounge is watching them from behind the clear glass. There's a chance that the camera could come out unscathed, but also a fair chance that it might not function normally after the baggage handling.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:14 AM   #18

While I concede that baggage handlers are not some of the most genteel people in society, neither do they have the time nor the inclination to toss every piece of baggage from the roof of the terminal onto the tarmac!

And while I certainly agree that, if at all possible, camera equipment should be carried rather that checked, if it must be checked, it is far less likely to be damaged or stolen if it is packed among clothing than if it is packed in a camera bag along with other pieces of camera equipment.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:49 AM   #19

Throughout all our posts I think we've neglected to consider that lots of professionals have to travel with bags upon bags (or cases rather) of gear. Rarely just one camera bag. Obviously they have to check-in a lot of their gear. And in all likelihood they are transporting pro-level gear. If they can manage it sucessfully time and time again (not that they are ammune to accidents or lost luggage)...

I think it's not as bad as some of us are making it out to be. We're just very cautious and would rather not take the chance. Choosing to take our gear into the cabin given the choice. I mean most of us don't have their budgets. Nor do we have access to company photography gear (I'm guessing some major newspapers loan out gear to staff photographers).

Being that I don't plan to rebuy my gear I'll definitely try to take my gear into the cabin. Given the choice.

Also, some airlines like UA, say you can take one "carry-on" and one "personal item" (e.g. laptop). ThinkTank makes camera bags that resemble laptop bags and fit within carry-on size requirements. Which are usually 22x9x14 inches. Though I tihnk UA said the second item has to be 6" thick. The ThinkTank laptop bags are 4" thick without the camera body on the "ouside pocket". You can carry one less lens (usu holds 3) and put the camera body only (no lens) next to two other lenses. That way the bag should not be thicker than 4". Adding only 1 more " for the laptop (I'm planning to bring an Apple MacBook Pro 15").
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:47 PM   #20

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Throughout all our posts I think we've neglected to consider that lots of professionals have to travel with bags upon bags (or cases rather) of gear. Rarely just one camera bag. Obviously they have to check-in a lot of their gear. And in all likelihood they are transporting pro-level gear. If they can manage it sucessfully time and time again (not that they are ammune to accidents or lost luggage)...
Not likely. They probably pack it all up a few days ahead of time and FedEx it to the destination. ... which is an alternative for all of us. FedEx your gear to the hotel at your destination.

And they could probably just do with their camera gear what Chuck Berry does with guitars: Buy a new one and have it delivered to the gig, and leave it behind when he's done. That's why there are so many guitars around that have been autographed by Chuck Berry.