Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 26, 2008, 8:13 AM   #11

Mikael A wrote:
Quote:
Thank you so much for your advice. Now I have know where to go. Compared to Europe, prices are supposed to be lower (esp because of the present exchange rates). However, having checked the B&H home page, I do find the price difference actually smaller than expected.
Keep in mind that, when you buy something in NYC retail stores, you'll also have to pay an 8.375% sales tax.

That probably will offset any price advantage due to the favorable exchange rate.

But B&H would still be a nice place to visit, if you can keep from drooling.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 8:50 AM   #12
Super Moderator

I always go to B&H when I'm in the US, I almost bough my MkIII there last year but waited for a while and purchased in the UK which with shopping around cost almost the same as Warehouse Express will price match some of the other UK stores who have deals..... although with a new camera like the 450 you probably won't find such a deal.

Last time in the US I also went to Adorama as a friend wanted a P&S and B&H were out of stock, as has been said, Adorama had the time to help more but for just wanting to see EVERY camera product plus a lot more but just be prepared to wait quitea long time to speak to someone.

Enjoy
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 3:30 AM   #13

In fact, I am a Swedish citizen and the government here apply a 25% VAT so the NY sales tax does not appear all that high in perspective. The US market has other preference than the Swedish. The Canon 450 camera, is 7000 SEK in Sweden with VAT and 6000 SEK in NY with the tax. BUT the guarantee for the camera house is only valid in the States. One would have thought that perhaps major companies like Sony and Canon would feel more responsible than that. They are reportedly worried that people would import from US and sell in Sweden.

Regarding lenses, the guarantee is international and the difference in price is much bigger on lenses. The popular Canon 17-85 IS is almost the double price in Sweden just to give one example. The mess at B&H makes me a bit concerned however.

Regarding the issue of buying from internet. I do not have an address in the States and very few will send it abroad. B&H being one of the few exceptions. Many of the US internet companies even make it difficult for foreigners to use their visa/master cards. This would otherwise be the best option since I, it appears, anyhow won't get much service from B&H.

Many thanks again!
Mikael A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 6:23 AM   #14

Mikael A wrote:
Quote:
BUT the guarantee for the camera house is only valid in the States. One would have thought that perhaps major companies like Sony and Canon would feel more responsible than that. They are reportedly worried that people would import from US and sell in Sweden.
That's not quite it.

Back when Canon. et al, just made cameras, they had other companies import their productsinto different geographic regions. Those companies had exclusive marketing rights within those geographic regions. The product warranties were with the importers, not with the manufacturers, and one importer would not honor the warranties of other importers (gray market).

Canon, et al, have grown since those days, and have often bought up all or most of the companies that imported their products, but not all of them. And the warranties are still only honored by the local companies (even if they are wholly owned subsidiaries), not the manufacturers.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:47 AM   #15

I have been informed that Canon and Sony honors the guarantee/warranty within North America. And likewise, a camera bought anywhere within the EU would honoured elsewhere within the EU. I still believe it would give a large company like this a lot more cred if they stopped counting their pennies like this. I was informed by Canon that 1% roughly of the 400D was malfunctioning and needed attendance on their guarantee/warranty. 1% of such a large quantity does make a difference of course, but the cred taking another approach would greatly offset this I believe.
Mikael A is offline   Reply With Quote