Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 29, 2008, 6:12 AM   #11

To my knowledge, Picasa is part of Google, and Flickr is part of Yahoo. If you're worried about the hosting company going 'belly up', I'd say they're both good choices.

But there's anouther option. Adobe Photoshop Express is in Beta right now, and 2GB of storage is free. I don't know what the situation will be later, but I'm pretty happy with it now.

Take a look:

http://tcav.photoshop.com
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 5:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Don't you have to have a website in order to buy web server space? Or are you talking about buying space from a website that stores your data online like Carbonite, Mozy or Ibackup does? :?
no, your getting a bit mixed up, let me explain, you buy a domain name, that is what people type in to find your website which is hosted on a server. you can buy space without having a site, its up to you whatyou do with the space.

have a look at lonex.com thats who i use, if you like at a later date you can buy a domain name and make a website

i have no idea about the sites u mention but take a look at space and costing of lonex and compare

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 9:48 PM   #13

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Don't you have to have a website in order to buy web server space? Or are you talking about buying space from a website that stores your data online like Carbonite, Mozy or Ibackup does? :?
no, your getting a bit mixed up, let me explain, you buy a domain name, that is what people type in to find your website which is hosted on a server. you can buy space without having a site, its up to you whatyou do with the space.

have a look at lonex.com thats who i use, if you like at a later date you can buy a domain name and make a website

i have no idea about the sites u mention but take a look at space and costing of lonex and compare

Gary
Hi Gary,

I called Lonex up on the phone. I spoke to one of their salesman in Fremont, California. And he said that they do not offer an online storage service. He said that you must, repeat must, have a website in order to use their services. In order to clarify what my objective is (exploring different areas of storing images, in this case online storage services) he said that you were in violation of their terms of service. :O

He said, and I quote, "We are a web host, not a storage service. You need to go to someone like Mozy or Carbonite if you want to store your images. We do not store images. We'll host them on your web site, but not store them. The man whose post you just read to me is violating our terms of service."

I didn't tell him your name was Gary. :lol:

RanchDressing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 9:55 PM   #14

Hawgwild wrote:
Quote:
Pay 50 bucks a year to Carbonite for archiving your photos.
I can't stomach the idea of using Carbonite.com as a backup. I always call a companies customer service department up first, before I buy their product. They have to pass my test.

I called Carbonites customer service department up not once, but twice. Both times I was forced to leave a message. I never got one call back. I would never trust an online backup service that doesn't offer person to person contact on the phone. Answering machines are unacceptable, as are unreturned calls. Hey, we're talking about precious images here. That is why Carbonite failed my test.

Don't get me wrong, Hawgwild. I loved the rest of the ideas in yourpost, all of it. Itwas allgreat info. Thank you. :-)

RanchDressing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 12:25 PM   #15

sorry mate.

i have a site hosted on their server and store all my pics on there too.

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 5:26 PM   #16

I prefer to back up my photos on a separate hard drive. They are so cheap right now that I have about 4 hard drives where I can back them up. If you want offsite storage (to protect against fire or such), get a drive that you can keep in a safety deposit box and do weekly/monthly backups to that.

DVDs are just too small unless you're shooting small jpegs. I have a few hundred gigabytes of photos. If I were to back them up on DVDs, the format would become obsolete before I even finished copying. Yeah, I'm a packrat and don't really delete my pictures.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 2:25 PM   #17

Unless I missed it, no one has mentioned backing up to a flash drive. I have a couple of 2gb drives I have loaded up with picture and they seem to work just fine.

Any opinions on this method?
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 6:35 PM   #18

Flying Fossil wrote:
Quote:
Unless I missed it, no one has mentioned backing up to a flash drive. I have a couple of 2gb drives I have loaded up with picture and they seem to work just fine.

Any opinions on this method?
For me that's too expensive. A DVD holds 4.7GB at a minimum. A 4GB flash drive, while cheap, is still way more expensive per GB than other recordable media. I'd still vote for a 500GB hard drive for $100 that I could keep in a safety deposit box.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote