Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 16, 2008, 5:17 PM   #1

I worry about my hard drive crashing and losing all of my images. (For the sake of discussion, lets forget about backing up images on a DVD.This thread is about online storage services only.)

I could be wrong - and set me straight if I am - but I tend to think that Picasa and Flickr are the twobest places to save, back up and store your images. They are probrably thetwo best image hostsleast likely to declare bankruptcy or close down their web site.

It'll probrably be hard to find someone who has a lot of experience with both image hosts, but if you are that rare person who has used both extensively, which one do you prefer and why?

RanchDressing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:53 PM   #2

R D, Just to chime in here..I have not used Picasa, but know of some who have and it seems like a good service for sharing photo views with other people. As far as a safe place to store original files, I don't know but I don't think so. Others will post their opinions soon, I'm sure. I do, however have a Flickr site. The free site limits you to 100 megabytes per month, and for 25 bucks a year you get unlimited bandwidth at a maximum of 5MB files per pic. If you are going to use any site to "permanently" archive your photos, at least make sure you can upload the original files, and not a re-sized version. Like I said, others will arrive soon and give you more info. Robert
Hawgwild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:11 PM   #3

Hawgwild wrote:
Quote:
I do, however have a Flickr site. If you are going to use any site to "permanently" archive your photos, at least make sure you can upload the original files, and not a re-sized version.

Hi Robert, do you shoot in high resolution and if so does Flickr allow you to upload it in that size?

Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:57 PM   #4

R D,I have a nikon D50, 6 MP and I shoot at full res (fine/large), and upload them to Flickr at that size. That way if anyone wants to download one of my pics, they will get an original, all the pixels intact. Robert
Old Apr 17, 2008, 1:01 AM   #5

Can't really say that Flickr is a true solution, as a) does not accept RAW and b) tiff's are automatically converted to jpeg.

I use SmugMug, and they only support jpg, gif and png.

Flickr, Picasa, SmugMug, etc all have faq's that specify file sizes and formats accepted.
brokenbokeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 11:20 AM   #6

buy your own server space

i have got 120 gig of serverspace, 900 gig transfer for $4.95 a month or £3 and host my site on there too

can store music, videos and much more, its like having a secure hard drive online

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 9:42 PM   #7

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
buy your own server space

i have got 120 gig of serverspace, 900 gig transfer for $4.95 a month or £3 and host my site on there too

can store music, videos and much more, its like having a secure hard drive online

Gary
Don't you have to have a website in order to buy web server space? Or are you talking about buying space from a website that stores your data online like Carbonite, Mozy or Ibackup does? :?
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:29 PM   #8

Honestly no matter what online site you choose please back up to DVDs because several of my friends had their online provider stop providing service in the last 2 years and they losts a lot of photos. Make sure you have them archived locally just in case that happens.

I use both DVD (memorex) plus less than 30 CDs - memorex, office depotand hard drives (all segate) for my backups.

I don't use any online storage sites of my own by my brother and his wife us ofoto to store monthly photo albums of their kids (about 100 photos). They have 3 years worth on line as a backup (since they value these as the good photos).

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 1:02 AM   #9

Back in the "good old days" of film, storage was pretty straightforward--protect the negatives and you were good to go for 30,40,50 years plus. Now it is very complicated. The marketplace cried out for years for digital imagery, and now we have it, or IT has us. Storage has become problematic in that we tend to shoot thousands of photos as opposed to tens and hundreds with film.

A few suggestions: Delete marginal pictures and keep only the "keepers". As was suggested, back up on dvd. Pay 50 bucks a year to carbonite for archiving your photos. Find a photo site that will allow you to upload full res photos with no size limit. Use flickr or photobucket with some limitations on size. There are no easy answers. With convenience comes price. And last, from me, print the best and put them in albums.

Some do not like external hard drives because they are mechanically unreliable. I use one as well as dvds and flickr. Hopefully that will be enough for now.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 3:41 AM   #10
Super Moderator

It will depend how much you want to backup, but personally I take too many photos to be able to use such a service. I use multiple external HDs and ensure that I have every photo on 2 drives. Also for weddings they get backed up to DVD just to be on the safe side. I haven't started backing up my sports shots to DVD but might start doing that as well.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote