Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:55 AM   #1

hi nI´m new here.

First questions to know the power of a ditigal objetive I have red that you must divide large mm/ low mm.

I explain a 40-400mm objetive should have 400/40=x10 power.

Is that correct?

So with is the sense to sel Olympus E-350 with

objetive 14-42mm=x3.5

objetive 40-150m=+3.75
facaphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2008, 5:12 AM   #2

facaphotos wrote:
Quote:
hi nI´m new here.

First questions to know the power of a ditigal objetive I have red that you must divide large mm/ low mm.

I explain a 40-400mm objetive should have 400/40=x10 power.

Is that correct?

So with is the sense to sel Olympus E-350 with

objetive 14-42mm=x3.5

objetive 40-150m=+3.75
As you can see, the zoom factor, or "x" doesn't mean much. A higher number does indicate a greater focal range, but it's a term created by marketers, and implies nothing about the quality of, or function of a lens, especially when talking about DSLR's. It is a bit more useful when comparing P&S cameras as their lenses are fixed. What really matters is the focal length. The lower the mm, the wider the view, the higher the number the narrower the view (telephoto).
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:04 AM   #3

Tamron has a web page that shows the view possible for a particular 35mm or DSLR lens http://www.tamron.com/lenses/learnin...comparison.php

As rjseeny pointed out the 'X' factor is meaningless in the DSLR environment as there are no fixed wide and telephoto standards. The 'X' factor is even becoming less useful in the bridge and compact camera world as they start getting more wide angle coverage.

In your Olympus example the two lenses cover from 14mm to 150mm which gives you good wide coverage to medium telephoto for general photography.

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:22 AM   #4

hi I see you point but I wanted to know that to compare my actual Panasonic x12 leica stock objetive to SLR objetives to choose correctly :?
facaphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:34 AM   #5

A Leica DC Vario-Elmarit lens on the DMC-FZ50 has a 12x optical zoom (35mm equivalent = 35mm to 420mm).

The
35mm equivalent of the two Olympus lenses would be 28mm to 300mm so you would get wider coverage but not as much telephoto.

Olympus DSLRs have a sensor smaller then a 35mm film frame so they have a crop factor or focal length multiplier of 2. See http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...tiplier_01.htm for an explanation.

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote