Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 23, 2003, 7:34 PM   #1

Default A lil' bird told me...

If you are planning on a new dig cam, wait til after Thanksgiving!

(Pssst! Don't tell anyone but there will be some spirited and competitve pricing in November!)

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2003, 7:41 PM   #2
Administrator

Digital Cameras (and other "high tech" products) are sort of like computers. There are always newer, better, faster models coming out.

The only problem with waiting for the next price drops, newer models, etc., is that you'll never get around to enjoying a new camera.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 11:07 PM   #3

"Good things come to those who wait, not to those who wait too late." (Forgot who said it)

Just go buy one and share the pictures... :lol:
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 2:27 AM   #4

Default Re: A lil' bird told me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by digcamfan
If you are planning on a new dig cam, wait til after Thanksgiving!

(Pssst! Don't tell anyone but there will be some spirited and competitve pricing in November!)

You know what... You just might be right... Thanks for that tip! I don't want to be regretting sometime late this year just because "I couldn't wait"...
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 9:03 AM   #5

Default Re: A lil' bird told me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkThrone
You know what... You just might be right... Thanks for that tip! I don't want to be regretting sometime late this year just because "I couldn't wait"...
Oh, in that case also don't buy before March...there's a big photography show where companies announce new models, but then those models don't come out for a few months (some as late as summer), and then you don't want to be paying full price so wait until thanksgiving *next* year, but then you'll want to wait and see what the following year comes out with...it's just like computers, if you wait for the latest model you'll never buy one.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 11:19 AM   #6

After you do a descent amount of research in regards to the type of photos you need to produce. Then look at your budget. I say in this order because the type of photos you may need to capture may require a camera that could possibly be over your budget. From that point you can rethink your needs/requirements or if you want, spend the extra and get the camera to do the job.

Digital camera technology is leaping ahead on a yearly basis...it does not mean that the camera you buy today is dated if it takes great photos now, it will take great photos in 3+ years from now as well. After doing research, the right time to buy is now.

Things to keep in mind:
- prices will always drop
- 'new' technology is always around the corner
- don't fall for the numbers game; eg: this upcoming model has more MP,etc etc.
in my opinion MP are the MHz of the camera world...more is not always better. 3 to 4MP is plenty for the majority of us. 4+ MP is only good for cropping or printing larger than 11x14.
- look at optics over the amount of MP.

There are more thing to look at as well, simply use forums like this one to help you with your questions.

-=-
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:38 PM   #7

Now, there is just too many variables for me to decide which decision I should make. It is, after all, nearing the season in which prices change to make way for the newer models.

For instance, I have finally decided which camera to purchase, and that is the Canon PowerShot A60. But after reading this thread again, I think I should spend a bit more to get that A60 upped to an A70.

But, dpreview shows of another new Canon coming out (or has it already?), the PowerShot A80, to which I think, the prices of the A60 and A70 will drop. Not so much, but enough to purchase probably one of the lens add-ons, and/or maybe even another CF card.

This is giving me a slight headache.
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:39 PM   #8
Administrator

Just like computers, you always pay a big premium to get the "latest and greatest" -- even though there usually isn't a lot of difference in them (real world use, versus what they look like "on paper")

You can sometimes find great deals on a reconditioned camera, too -- getting a lot more "bang for the buck" versus a new model.

Nikon sells their reconditioned cameras directly to the public via their NikonMall web site.

You can see their current offerings here:

http://www.nikonmall.com/searchresul...&searchcatid=3

I have no problem with a reconditioned camera. Most of the time, these cameras exist just because somebody changed their mind. As a result, they are sent back to the manufacturer for inspection and repackaging -- and are sold at a substantial discount compared to a "brand new" camera.

I once bought a cameras from NikonMall this way. It arrived in perfect, like new condition. I was unable to distinquish it from a new camera in any way (and believe me, I looked at it very closely).

It was "tight as new". From my perspective, a reconditioned model from Nikon is potentially more reliable than a new one (because it's been inspected again, probably more thoroughly than it was when originally manufacturered -- just to make sure no problems exist with it).

BTW, even if an item is "temporarily out of stock", you can still place your order. They won't charge your credit card until it actually ships, and will send one out as soon as it becomes available.

I think the Coolpix 4500 is the best deal on the site now at $369.99 (a new 4500 lists for $699.99). This model has less chromatic aberrations (purple fringing) compared to other models in it's class, with a terrific zoom range too (38 - 155mm equivalent), without the problems associated with EVF's (the 4500 has an optical viewfinder).

I really love the swivel bodied design of this camera too. Unless you've used one of the split bodied Nikons (I've owned a CP 950 and a CP 990), you really can't appreciate how nice this design is for getting shots that would be impossible with many other cameras.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:51 PM   #9

Don't forget the bleeding edge factor...sometimes the newer models has bugs due to new design or components.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 9:56 PM   #10

DarkThrone wrote:
Quote:
Now, there is just too many variables for me to decide which decision I should make. It is, after all, nearing the season in
which prices change to make way for the newer models.
When I get this feeling (which happens about this time of year), I just lie down until the feeling passes. <G>
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote