Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 26, 2008, 7:05 PM   #1

My goal is to take archival photos of people's scrapbooks, which are often 18" square or larger. I've been struggling along with a zoom-lens point-n-shoot, but I'm ready to go to a dSLR with a prime lens.

Somebody local is selling a 60mm lens, but I am having the dickens of a time figuring out how far away from the artwork I'd have to mount the camera with that lens. Would I have to be closer or further away if I went with a 55mm lens (one of those is also for sale on craigslist).

(I've got the "notify me by email" box checked and would love to read your responses!)
edtech2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2008, 9:00 PM   #2

'60mm' is the focal length ot the lens.

It is not an indication of the minimum focusing distance.

The focal length affects the angle of view. [ See http://www.tamron.com/lenses/learnin...comparison.php]

If you could tell us more about the lens, someone may be able to tell you more about how (or if) you can use it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 2:06 PM   #3

edtech2020 wrote:
Quote:
Somebody local is selling a 60mm lens, but I am having the dickens of a time figuring out how far away from the artwork I'd have to mount the camera with that lens. Would I have to be closer or further away if I went with a 55mm lens (one of those is also for sale on craigslist).
Since focal length actually defines the angle of view a 55mm lens would need to a bit closer compared to a 60mm to cover your hypothetical 13.5x18 subject area. The difference would be slight.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote