Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 27, 2008, 10:40 AM   #1

i saw a site sometime ago, but i can't remember the site's name anymore i think it was featured here on steve's digicams featuring low prices.
the site features great dslr bundles that includes tripods, additional lenses, kits etc. it's a cheap site and if anyone can just give me a clue where can i find such bargains because im planning to buy a new camera. thanks!! :-)
g3n3ziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2008, 7:51 PM   #2

I can't help you, but I can offer a little advice:
Check each item in the bundle for quality. Most bundles include at least one item that's not worth much, but make the bundle look very good.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:07 AM   #3

hi ron. thanks for your reply. i found a Nikon D60 Digital SLR Outfit w/ 18-55mm VR, 55-200mm VR Zoom lens. is this a good offer? it costs 839$ on buydig.com. any recommendation where i can great cameras with affordable price? thanks again!

genesis
Old Apr 30, 2008, 12:22 PM   #4
Administrator

g3n3ziz wrote:
Quote:
hi ron. thanks for your reply. i found a Nikon D60 Digital SLR Outfit w/ 18-55mm VR, 55-200mm VR Zoom lens. is this a good offer? it costs 839$ on buydig.com. any recommendation where i can great cameras with affordable price?
http://www.buydig.com is about as low as it gets from a reputable vendor.

If you're seeing this setup for much less, you're probably dealing with a con artist, and you'll likely be getting gray market gear (which Nikon will refuse to service, even if you are willing to pay them for the service).

The well known scammers will call you to confirm the order. Then, you'll also find out that they'll want to sell you high priced batteries, extended warranties, stuff that normally comes with the camera anyway, want to include inflated shipping and insurance charges (sometimes unauthorized). Anything to increase their profit (since they can't sell the camera alone at the advertised prices without losing money).

If you don't buy enough of the outrageously priced extras (and most of the extra stuff like tripods, add on lenses, etc. that you're mentioning is junk designed to increase profits), your camera will suddenly go to backorder status.

Of course, their web sites still show them in stock and your credit card has been charged). They'll often sell gray market gear, too (not intended for sale in the country you live in with a store versus manufacturers warranty). Nikon won't even service a gray market camera, even if you're willing to pay them for the service. The "US Warranty" you sometimes see mentioned is often a store warranty, and may not be woth the paper it's written on if they can't get the parts and/or have the expertise to fix a problem.

This has been going on for years. It's a racket.

Do yourself a favor and stick with a reputable dealer.

Make sure to check out any vendor you consider using http://www.resellerratings.com
(they're a bit better about filtering out fake vendor reviews compared to most)

If they are not listed, I'd avoid them (these guys tend to start up new web sites often under a variety of names). If they have a small number of customer reviews there, I"d avoid them (they tend to try and get away with padding their own ratings with glowing reviews). Some even seem to have their own ratings sites now (with all of the stores listed being same old scammers, with the reviews unbelievably good).

Suggested Reading:

How to buy a Digital Camera without being robbed

If you're unsure about a vendor, ask here. Most of the con artists are well known, and located in Brooklyn, where they seem to be able to get away with it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 9:00 PM   #5

bhphotovideo or newegg.com are the only ones I use anymore. Bigdig.com has been featurerd here as one of the worse and one that people have problems with all the time.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Also stay away from j+K as well.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:21 PM   #6

genisis, eveyone wants to save money, but there are so many scam artists out there, and so many different scams, that I buy from B&H only. (Henry, you can send my kickback to....:lol I know I will be treated fairly and honestly, and that if I have a problem B&H will try very hard to fix it. There are a few other honest sellers out there, but they all have similar prices. Adorama is the only one that comes to mind right now.
If money is tight, look at lenses by other manufacturers or look at used equipment, but do listen to what JimC said and be very careful who you buy from.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 12:13 AM   #7
Administrator

Photo 5 wrote:
Quote:
bhphotovideo or newegg.com are the only ones I use anymore. Bigdig.com has been featurerd here as one of the worse and one that people have problems with all the time.
The OP mentioned buydig.com (and I've never heard of bigdig.com).

Buydig.com is a reputable vendor. I don't recall seeing anything but good feedback from members about them.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 9:14 AM   #8

Jim Sorry for the typo..... I must have been thinking of something else at the time I made that post. Their are so many seellers that have gotten negative feedback here that they all start to blend togethger.

Anyway like you always say if the deal seems to good to be true than it probabbly is.

In the past 2 years I have only used newegg.com and bhphotovideo.com and got one item at Radio Shack.

Again sorry for thr typp and getting my info slightly missed up.

dave

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 10:36 PM   #9

Hey! You can go to their storers! Or you can scan their products online.
ghtyoui998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 10:40 PM   #10

hi there, actually bad luck for me, it was too late to read your reply about resellerratings.com, my wife already bought from fotoconnection.com they screwed me with the tripod, they give a very little tripod instead of a full sized one. we got a nikon d60 with two vr lenses 18-55mm and 50-200mm. next time i'll be a lot smarter. thanks for your help guys.