Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 26, 2002, 8:45 PM   #1

Default does size matter?...filesize

Everyone tells me that the two top companies are Olympus and Nikon. Both have outstanding picture quality and features. But I can't understand how the file sizes from the Nikon 5700, a five mexapixel camera, are smaller than that of the Olympus four megapixel models (and some 3mp's).
The Olympus E-20 files sizes are about 2 full megabytes more than the 5700!

Even the D40, a camera geared toward portability first, has much larger files than Nikon's 'flagship' model that is supposed to be bordering on the professional.

help, someone please explain to me how to better compare these companies
specia1ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2002, 8:55 PM   #2

Most digicams will take pics in two formats, tiff and jpeg. JPEG is a compression format with many modes that will change file size. TIFF is pure uncompressed, are you compareing TIFF file size?
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2002, 9:15 PM   #3

nope...take a peek at the sample picks on steves website for some of the mentioned cameras. For all general purposes, the resolutions are according to mexapixels. All of the files are JPEGs, and i am presuming that they are are all the least compressed (finest) JPEGs available for each camera.
Old Jul 26, 2002, 9:23 PM   #4

well i just looked a little harder and found some TIFF to TIFF comparisons, and there is almost no difference there. 15.2mb for the E20 vs. 14.5mb for the 5700. So then in that case, i guess that Olympus just has less compression on its best JPEG and would make better pictures for your average picture taking.
Old Jul 27, 2002, 3:34 AM   #5

this could be a slightly different algorithim used on the olympus or a slightly less efficient one. it could be a number of factors causing olys to be a tiny bit larger. i doubt that there will be a visual difference
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote