Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 29, 2008, 7:24 PM   #1

Please feel free to share any of these. My twins are making theirs this weekend and I would like to be able to get some nice portraits. Any advice, techniques, or examples would be lovely, thanks in advance.

BTW: I have the dual lens kit e-510, a tripod, no external flash, but a legacy OM 50mm 1.8 lens. Expected to be a sunny day, mass is at 1:30 in the afternoon in New Jersey.
TBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:06 PM   #2

Bright afternoon sun so use the built-in flash for fill flash outdoors to soften the harsh shadows. If they can keep their backs to the sun you won't get squinting and the fill flash should expose the faces like the background. Your camera should be able to handle this automatically. Look up fill flash in the user manual.

Check the background before shooting to ensure it isn't too busy with distracting elements. The more plain the better. Look out for tree beanches growing out of heads!

Avoid shooting wide angle as you may get distortion in body parts closer to the camera such as noses! Recommendation is to use about 35-50mm range for Olympus. The 50mm should work great here!

Try shooting with several large apertures (more towards the f/1.8 end) as this will help the background blur and be less distracting. This is called shallow depth of field.

Check with the clergy about shooting in the church with or without flash. Our parish only allows photography before or after Mass and not during the service. (Not that anyone listens!)
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:18 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback. I don't have a lot of experience quite frankly with formal portraits, most of my portraits are candids and informal shots. Most of what I do is travel photography, landscapes etc. I put some of the portraits I've done on Picasa at the link here. Some are from my S60 and some from my 510 which I got about 2 months ago.

I figured most shots would be using the 40-150towardthe short end 50-100mm and possibly some with the 50mm f1.8 which is a pretty bright lens to get some good OOF effects for the background. I'll keep your advice in mind and post some of the results if they come out. Thanks again.

http://picasaweb.google.com/TBAYRUNS/Portraits
Old May 1, 2008, 9:16 AM   #4

high Key effect:

This is one of the effects I am trying to achieve, not so overexposed though. I used some side lighting and fill flash. Any opinions or tips about this type of shot for a 1st communion portrait? I also plan on taking some inside the church, outside the church, and redoing this effect the morning of the ceremony. I didn't get a chance to remove the greenish color cast yet but didn't figure I would waste too much time on such an overexposed shot.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/TBAYRUNS/SBkW1D...0/P4302446.JPG