Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 24, 2003, 1:11 PM   #1

Default Wierd Camera Criteria I want.

OK,

1st if your just gonna chime in that I need a camcorder then your probably right, but I dont know if I want the cheapest DV camera or a better still with this ability. I am hoping to find in the $400 ballpark?

Now I want one thing mainly for this camera to be able to do, is take a movie clip with sound, hopefully 640x?? for more than 30 seconds. doesnt need to be more than 2-3 mins either... I see I can find some that do 320 and for up to 3 mins depending on mem stick I assume? I may have to settle for that, but Im wondering if the 640 is "limited" because of the "original included storage is only 16 or 8 meg", looking that the cannons like the a70's, & Im wondering it I could get more when I get the 256 meg mem stick?

Any Suggestions would be appreciated.

I honestly believe if I find one that can do a decent clip the rest will be gravy for my use, sound is pretty important. Just using it to demonstrate some techniques, put on CD. I'll get to keep the camera, I'm hoping that is.
Regnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2003, 1:37 PM   #2
Administrator

Personally, I'd go for a true Video Camera. For one thing, many of them have a stablized zoom lens (to help reduce the image "bounce" you see from a still camera). For another, most Digital Still Cameras won't let you adjust the zoom while recording a movie.

Also, the sound quality tends to be pretty bad on a digital still camera, while most true video cameras have much better microphones, with stereo sound too.

Also, the amount of memory used by movies is substantial.

I purchased a Sony DSC-P10 in July, but found the movie quality (especially the sound) to be terrible IMO -- even at 16 frames per second at 640x480.

Check the specifications for the models you are considering here in each cameras review. Steve indicates the maximum movie length there.

If you look in the sample photos section of the cameras that Steve reviews, he often includes short movie clips too. So, you can judge the quality for yourself.

If you are willing to live with the poorer quality of video in a still camera, you may want to check out the new Minolta DiMAGE Z1. It offers unlimited length (i.e., until the memory cards fill up) "TV Quality" video at 30 frames per second (640x480). It's also right in your price range (available for $399 from many vendors).

But, it still won't be as good as a real video camera (for the reasons I outlined above). Also, you'll need a very large memory card for your movie clips (unless you want to download to your PC very often).

Many other newer cameras also include similiar 30 frame per second 640x480 movie modes (including some of the Fuji models, like the F700).

Good Luck with your decision.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 2:21 PM   #3

Canon'sZR series (the ZR65 and ZR70) camcorder can record 640x480 and 1024x768 sized moves to it's SD or MultiMedia card (it accepts both).

Bestbuy.com has it on slale right now for $473 with free shipping.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 3:19 PM   #4

Thank you both!!!

Jim, my only thing still stopping me from DV vid-cam was that I was under the impression that they are pretty lousy still cameras.

Im one of those consumers that want middle of the road but Both worlds. Im almost the model customer that they picture in thier minds when they creat "enduro" motorcycles (they are built specifically to go on-road & off-road, but does neither anywhere near as good as specialized bikes can, but pretty usable )

seems the still camera is less than good for vid, and vid cam is junky for stills. Again what thimble amount of information I have is from looking at Sam's, Sears, & Office Max... Im in smaller city, so the photo type shops are not big into digital as of yet, IMHO.

Im going to shop around about that cameras you both mentioned, because the demo will be on a tripod anyhow, and then even my friends Mavica took decent vids, but the floppy only held a few seconds & low res...

If you have any suggestions of DV cams that do at least 2mp stills, & Im NOT way out of money, well I know you guys are as busy as I am Ill keep looking around...!

-Reg
Regnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 5:32 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regnits
Jim, my only thing still stopping me from DV vid-cam was that I was under the impression that they are pretty lousy still cameras.

...then even my friends Mavica took decent vids, but the floppy only held a few seconds & low res...
-Reg
You're right --- the Video Cams tend to take lousy still photos, and vice-versa.

Well, many users are perfectly happy with the Video from their Still Cameras (I'm just not one of them).

As far as the Sony Mavicas, some models had stabilized zoom lenses (your friend probably had a one of these, like the discontinued FDC-91, which used floppies. Cameras with stabilized lenses are a rarity in current model still cameras, but stablized lenses are the norm in video cameras.

To my knowledge, there are only two current model cameras with image stablization: The Panasonic DMC-FZ1 (two megapixel still camera, with a Leica Stablized Zoom Lens), and the new Minolta DiMAGE A1 (5 megapixel model which uses a new CCD Stabilization feature).

The movie mode on the Panasonic is 320 x 240 @ 10 frames per second with audio (which is going to be pretty "choppy" due to the slower frame rate).

The movie mode on the new Minolta DiMAGE A1 is 320x240 at 24fps with audio (much better frame rate, but the resolution is only 320x240).

The Minolta Z1 I mentioned offers 30fps video at 640x480 (but no image stabilization).

If you use a tripod, then you will probably get much better results without a stablized zoom lens.

Again, check out the samples in the reviews on this site (Steve usually includes some movie clips in most of his reviews).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 9:50 AM   #6

A review of the ZR65 can be read at http://www.dvspot.com/reviews/canon/...ew/index.shtml
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote