Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 2, 2008, 1:07 PM   #1

I used to have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ4 until that recently broke.

Today I bought a used Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 from Craigs list. I did check the camera out before handing over the money, but I didn't notice the problem until I got the camera back home.

The zoom/shutter ring sort of sticks. I hope it's not some fatal flaw that will ruin a purchase that I was otherwise excited about.. but perhaps you guys can help me figure out what methods or steps to employ in order to remedy this problem.

When I turn the zoom ring left or right it is more difficult to turn than it should be, and then sort of sticks in place and slowly slides back to center. The shutter button in the center of the ring is equally hard to press at times, though not all the time. Everything still WORKS, but just not as it SHOULD.

I thought about trying a can of compressed air into the nooks and crannies of the ring. I also thought about trying some lubricating oil like WD-40 or 3-in-1 oil, but I wasn't sure if those oils might damage the camera. Help!

Attached Images

DMCFZRichie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2008, 7:07 PM   #2

I'd suggest "exersizing" the switch: move/press it a bunch of times (>30) with the power off - no point in wearing out whatever motors/shutter/circuit/... it controls.

I would avoid 3-in-one oil and compressed air. 3-in-one clots fairly quickly and causes all kinds of dirt to stick. Compressed air is a strong physical force and just might lift something that should stay in place. WD40 might be OK, but I wouldn't use it on a camera. There are some contact cleaners that are more subtle than WD40 - ask at you local Radio Shack.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 9:43 AM   #3

That's actually exactly what I ended up doing (excersize with the power off) and it has gotten better. It's still not the way my FZ4 was, smooth and natural, but it's much more useable now. Thanks for the reply!

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
I'd suggest "exersizing" the switch: move/press it a bunch of times (>30) with the power off - no point in wearing out whatever motors/shutter/circuit/... it controls.

I would avoid 3-in-one oil and compressed air. 3-in-one clots fairly quickly and causes all kinds of dirt to stick. Compressed air is a strong physical force and just might lift something that should stay in place. WD40 might be OK, but I wouldn't use it on a camera. There are some contact cleaners that are more subtle than WD40 - ask at you local Radio Shack.
DMCFZRichie is offline   Reply With Quote