Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 2, 2008, 6:44 PM   #1
sk

Hi! i'm new to using digital cameras and don't know much on the topic. basically i'm trying to find outif i can directly upload videos from my pentax optio s6 onto my PC, and play them in windows media player? or do i need to convert the files, using the software provided by the camera?

the reason why i ask is because currently i can directly upload video clips from my camera onto my computer and theninto the media player, but they playbackwith no image, only sound. basically the clip is playing, but with no image.

what could be the problem? i've been looking online for ways to troubleshoot, but have not been successful in coming up with information.

is it because my computer system and camera are not compatible? or is it because i have to first install the software provided on the included cdrom and go through the software provided by pentax--the ACDSEE/ACDSHOWTIME programs, or the DivX?
sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2008, 7:19 PM   #2

sk,

You should be able to play your videos without conversion. The S6 is an older camera, so I'm thinking it may be a compatibility issue with your computer software. I believe the S6 encoded video in MPEG-4. Did you try opening it with Quicktime or DivX?

I think the first thing you should determine is if the movies play back on your camera...do they? If so, then the problem is most likely with your computer. What file extension are the videos saved in on your PC?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 9:29 PM   #3

Your WMP may not have the correct codecs to play these videos. Try the Windows help at MS website for codecs. or download Media Player Classic, for free. This is what I have done, as I still can't get WMP to Play DVDs.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 4:42 PM   #4
sk

The video clips do play back on the camera, perfectly fine with the sound and images.

The video clips also can be directly from the camera on the tv, and they'll show the image.

It is only when trying to play them on the computer that the image is not shown.

The clipsI recordedare saved as .avi files, butI noticed that the sample video clips that came with the camera are .wmv and these sample video clips open normally in Quicktime, DivX and WMP.

So this is whyI was wondering if I need to convert the clips files, and if so what program would be best for doing this?

Thanks for help! Really appreciate it!
sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 6:23 PM   #5

sk,

Are you saving the videos on your computer, or just trying to play them? If you're just trying to play them back, try saving them first. If you save it on your computer as an .avi file, what program opens it on your computer - WMP? Should work.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 1:35 AM   #6

You can try this media player, total video player which can play lots of media formats, and the software is a freeware, but very easy to use and powerful.

http://www.effectmatrix.com

videospot is offline   Reply With Quote