Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 24, 2003, 2:29 PM   #1

Default maxxum 7 Selectable metering!

Hey,

First off, I am new here and would like to know if this is a Digital only Forum. If so, does anyone know of a place like this for film?

THE ISSUE:
I just bought a new maxxum 7 and did a huge shoot with it this weekend. I shot probably 16 models in outdoor conditions over the weekend and got my contact sheets back today. Well I have to say I was not all that impressed with the hyped up 14-point honeycomb wonder metering system. Several of my shots thayt would have been otherwise great were COMPLETELY washed [email protected]!? Beofre this cam I was using an old Minolta 400si, very basic, and never had these issues with bright daylight. As I said, I thought this meter was supposed to be the S*** and I was getting better exposurtes form my entry level 7 year old camera?
The camera itself was purchased mail order and one of the autofocus LED's in the viewfinder is kind of busted. Is it possible the camera has osmething wrong with it or does the error lie in me? Any insight to this issue would be much appreciated as I have another huge shoot this weekend and would like some better results this time.

I know I could always select spot mode, but like I said I thought the 14-point system was supposed to be state of the art?

Let me know what you think.

David
Pechos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2003, 2:44 PM   #2
NHL

My 9xi has the honeycomb also, but does not have the problem you mentioned... It should metered around the honeycombs centered around the AF sensor that was selected by the camera.

Also were the models wearing darker color? and was it in bright sunshine?

Do you have a handheld incidence meter that you can compared with?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 2:55 PM   #3

Default The models

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the only time I didnt like the exposures were when I was shooting with the sun high in the sky. I know Direct sunlight is a recipe for washout, I figured the meter would compensate though to properly expose. Always worked in the past.

As far as clothes, they werent wearing any. I did about 4 shoots throughout the day and the weird part is some of the pics came out OK form the 4 o clock shoot but the ones I really wanted were total washout. Not alot of drastic contrast in the scene wither. Girl laying in waterfall pool with lighish rocks directly behind her. Like I said, the whole scene was very bright, but I figured the wondercombs would take care of me.
Pechos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 10:25 AM   #4
NHL

Can you try to diffuse the sunlight with overhead panels?

This more a problem with film latitude in a difficult lighting situation than the metering, and I would guess most cameras would have had the same problem as well... You would still have to deal with the high contrast if it was spot on!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote