Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 26, 2002, 10:59 PM   #1

Default Where to get Digicam with built in modem???

I need a low end Digicam (< 1M pixcels will be fine) with a built in modem. Can anyone tell me where I can find them? If there isn't such a thing, how can I send an image to a remote site without using a PC?

Anyhelp is much appreciated.
digicam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2002, 1:36 AM   #2

Here are some things that approximate what you are looking for:

- new cell phones with built in cameras. I saw a ton of them in Japan when I was there for the World Cup last month.

- Palmtop (Palm, Visor, iPaq, etc) with camera add-on card and modem add-on card.

- some sony laptops have a built in camera above the lcd screen

Of the above options the palmtop w/ camera card may be the best of some not very good options.
foodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2002, 3:08 AM   #3

Hello Foodle,

thanks for your input.
handphones from Japan might not be suitable as they might be of different mobile system, ie PCN instead of GSM.

I am thinking to build a system which will work like this:
A cheap digital camera to capture an image in .JPG format. This file is then transfer to a remote site via a modem. At the remote site, a PC with modem will then be able to save up the image file. I know that Ricoh RDC-i700 web camera can do more than what I want but it is too expensive!
Old Jul 27, 2002, 3:50 AM   #4

Quote:
handphones from Japan might not be suitable as they might be of different mobile system, ie PCN instead of GSM.
right. What I meant was that these phones are starting to proliferate to other places. They are just starting to show up in the US for example.

Quote:
I am thinking to build a system which will work like this:
A cheap digital camera to capture an image in .JPG format. This file is then transfer to a remote site via a modem. At the remote site, a PC with modem will then be able to save up the image file.
Why do you want a system like this? It seems like it would be very cumbersome (unless you coupled your camera with a cellular phone for the modem connect). Storage is very cheap, so why not just a cheap digicam with a big flash memory card? Do you want to immediately put the pics on the net?
foodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2002, 4:57 AM   #5

Sometimes, it is hard to picture things with thousand words. It will be nice if workers at the remote site can have a low end digital camera with them, capture pictures of the construction site and sending images to me in the office for updates.
Old Jul 27, 2002, 5:34 AM   #6
NHL

digicam101

The original Ricoh RDC digicam has a built-in modem for a while, and the former D7 has a CF card modem/cellular adapter as accessory...

Also FYI, wireless is the way to go going forward...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...d.php?tid=1179

[Edited on 7-27-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2002, 5:59 AM   #7

we do it every day. unfortunately we have to go thru a laptop or base computer to xfr the data. having a modem built in may seem like the answer but again the power drain equation rears its ugly head.

bluetooth and wavelan types are range limited unless your facility is wired for it.

also since your at the laptop/base computer you have access to other info you might need thru your database. it is done today via cell or satcom(slow (cell)/expensive (satcom)).

we're not there yet. but it's coming.

personally i love the comm device on "earth final confilict" . now thats a concept device and a really wired world(actually i think it was based on an apple concept device. i hate to admit it)

[Edited on 7-27-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2002, 11:45 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by digicam101
I need a low end Digicam (< 1M pixcels will be fine) with a built in modem. Can anyone tell me where I can find them? If there isn't such a thing, how can I send an image to a remote site without using a PC?

Anyhelp is much appreciated.

The only one I ever saw was the Panasonic 2590 that we reviewed, go here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pvdc2590.html

Scroll about halfway down the page and you'll see the picture of the CF card and CF modem.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2002, 10:09 PM   #9

hello steve,

Thanks for the info!!
Old Jul 31, 2002, 4:31 PM   #10
NHL

Look @ what I've just found:

Newark, CA, May 29, 2001
Digital Phone Card Connect Ricoh RDC-i700 to mobile phones for web publishing and email

[Edited on 7-31-2002 by NHL]

BTW, they even make a 56k modem and Ethernet Combo CF card... wonder if it'll will ever work in a D7(...before I upgrade the firmware) ?

[Edited on 7-31-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote