Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 12, 2008, 6:46 PM   #1

I need to get a new monitor. What are some good monitors that work great for pictures.
ToddBelott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2008, 1:30 AM   #2

What's your price range? You might not be willing to pop for "great!"

Great monitors might be something like the LaCie 3 series LCD's ($879.00 - $1,400.00) or the Eizo ColorEdge CG series ($2,350.00 - $5,000.00) or CE series ($1,176.00 - $1,676.00), and maybe the Samsung SyncMaster XL line ($4,450.00 - $1,600.00).

The NEC MultiSync line isn't much cheaper.

HP "LP" monitors are very good ($1,340.00 - $190.00).

Good things have also been said about Dell's Ultrasharp line and Samsung's 943 series ($285.00 - 235.00) and the Samsung 2280HD ($470.00).

Given the choice out there, this list is hardly complete. You have to decide what features you want -- aspect ratio, response time, speakers, size, color gamut/accuracy, etc. -- and then look at how much you want to pay. These are products where the saying, "you get what you pay for," is quite true.

Grant

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 11:40 AM   #3

A good CRT, like one of the ViewSonic G90fB or one oftheNEC MultiSync FE Series, will be better and cheaper than most good LCDs, if you don't mind the extra size, weight, and electricity.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 5:20 PM   #4

TCav wrote:
Quote:
A good CRT, like one of the ViewSonic G90fB or one oftheNEC MultiSync FE Series, will be better and cheaper than most good LCDs, if you don't mind the extra size, weight, and electricity.
Yeah, but the flat screens just look so cool! I bought an Envision 24" monitor (cheapest of that size that I could find) and it give me much happiness to look at my images on it. I'm not hypercritical, but it seems to do a good job. I have the Huey Pro monitor calibrator hooked up to it and it seems pretty consistent on color and exposure. The widescreen format is good for the editing software that I use. I can have a good sized preview window and still get all my controls listed around it. I'd say go as big as you can afford as it really helps with editing.

I realize the OP asked for good. What I'm talking about is probably closer to "good enough". It looks nice with my HD movies too.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 9:23 PM   #5

rfortson wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, but the flat screens just look so cool!...
Yeah, but the images on CRTs just look so cool! [suB]:-)[/suB]
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 8:08 PM   #6

I am using an HP w/2207 and love it.

My new Sony A-700 has the option of shooting in 16:9 aspect ration so that is kool.

Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 3:23 PM   #7

It is becoming diffucult to find the better CRT monitors though. I have a viewsonic G220fb. Its a pretty nice 21 inch CRT. but monitors like that are becoming more difficult to find...viewsonic is focusing more on its lcd range.

I think in the future most of us will be on LCDs.

CRTS are nice in that the color represetation is generally better and you have flexibility in resolutions....but often to get some of the higher resolutions that many lcds are being made with you will be at a lower refresh rate that may cause eye strain. most lcds cause very little of that under any circumstance. But a CRT below about 85 starts to wear on the eyes.

I also have a laptop and a lcd at work. allare calibrated using a hardware color management system and all do a good job. I do most of my phot stuff on laptop though because it is portable.
Krusteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 6:26 PM   #8

The Samsung 24"245BW is excellent bang for your buck. I use it and like it. It calibrates easily and is easily available. The 22" variant is also very nice. From personal experience, either would do you fine for a reasonable price.

Otherwise, like Grant said, it's the pro monitors and the VERY high prices.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote