Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 25, 2003, 9:04 PM   #1

Default Sharpness with 3rd party lenses on Digital SLR'S

I've got a Canon10D and a couple of 3rd party lenses:Tamron 80-200 and 19-35.These lenses are pretty sharp .I also have the Vivitar 100 macro..feels very cheap,doesn't auto focus well and requires an accessory lens for 1:1...but man is it sharp..of course I'm using small apertures f16 -f22 a lot and its pretty impressive..Now for the question.Does any one out there use longer range teles..135 -400,80-400.from Like Tamron,Tokina,or Sigma..if so given the fact that a digital sensor only uses the "sweet spot"and not the edges.Can I expect similar performance to the Canon equivalents.(Non IS).I dont care about cosmetics and know the 3rd party lenses are slower..but will they be as sharp?
d77avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2003, 4:47 AM   #2
NHL

FYI

I've found theses pictures from a Sigma 50-500mm on pBase... (shot @ handheld too)

Quote:
given the fact that a digital sensor only uses the "sweet spot"and not the edges
You've got it!!! Most reviews are based on full-frame film camera which is understandable, but most readers miss this important point and end up spending more than they should for their "comfort level". Case in point is my Sigma EX 17-35mm f/2.8-4. This lens is a dog compared to the excellent and also unique Sigma EX 15-30mm f/3.5 on a full-frame, but on the 10D it performs beautifully since all the peripheral problematic areas are automatically cropped out!

Regarding cosmetic, It doen't have to be that way: Some lenses and particularly the Sigma (and some Tamron), are now rubberized satin finished in black (similar to the Nikon), which IMO looks and feels better than the plain plastic OEM... :?

As to slower 3rd-party lens my Sigma EX 70-200 f/2.8 HSM is as fast if not faster than my Canon EF 28-135 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM since their EX series also sport the super-quick and quiet utrasonic motor in the lenses which BTW also allow manual overide (and fast f/2.8 aperture too). :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 8:19 AM   #3

For all my answers to such questions I go to 3 web sites:

http://www.photozone.de/bindex2.html
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/
http://www.photographyreview.com/reviewscrx.aspx

And then I look around on dpreview.com's forums to see what others are saying.

some of the 3rd party longer Telephotos are good (the 50-500 is a bit heavy, but it can yield good results. It also is reported to lie about its fstop so it can still autofocus on the 10D.) If you want to get fancy and expensive, Sigma makes a f4.5 500mm which is also supposed to be good.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 9:14 AM   #4

Thanks Guys forgot about Miranda
d77avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 6:35 PM   #5

Yeah my Sigma 70-200 EX seems to be faster then my other lenses from canon. But I am still yet to play with a Canon L lens... so I dont know if Im missing anything yet. Maybe it might be a good thing not to know right now... :lol:
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2003, 10:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Can I expect similar performance to the Canon equivalents.(Non IS).I dont care about cosmetics and know the 3rd party lenses are slower..but will they be as sharp?
Some will, some won't. There are many facets to lens technology and some inexpensive lenses work very well indeed with your 10D while others don't work well with any camera :-)

The Sigma line has a wide variety of lens quality. I've found the Sigma 50-500mm and 15-30mm to be of superior optical quality. My Sigma 50-500 compares very favorably with my Canon 100-400L IS and my 15-30 is better than some of Canon's "L" glass, especially with my 1DS.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote