Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 25, 2003, 10:13 PM   #1

Default I hate noise

OK so I need to upgrade from my Nikon CoolPix 990 (because a relative of mine dropped it).

I've been looking at Steve's reviews of the Nikon 5700 and Canon G5. They both look like great cameras, but in the sample images, they're both relatively noisy (just like the 990).

Is there any prosumer-level digital camera that can shoot virtually noiseless images like the D100? Or is that level of image quality only available in the digital SLR category?

Thanks.
lunarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2003, 6:30 AM   #2

Great subject line :-)
What I noticed with several digital cameras, with bright light on scene, that most cameras turn out quite good, even with increased iso values. It's the dimmed /overcasted scenes were noise creeps in, even with best dslr camera. However the amount of noise wiith dimmed light varies a lot between cameras.

Image Resource has comparisson shots of different iso settings, those shots are the best the camera can do.

Note that the more mega pixels, per ccd mm2 , more noise. And a tiny l lense diameter means also less light on ccd. Thats why d-slrs are the best in noise controll (Canon even without software interference).

If 5 mega pixels 1/1.8 ccd camera turns out to be noisy, check the 4 mega pixel variant of the model (seen too often the 5 mP variant perform below acceptable even in those controled Image Resource samples). Look for a camera with large lense diameter
If you can afford it, go for a dslr.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 4:26 PM   #3
Administrator

Default Re: I hate noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarboy
I've been looking at Steve's reviews of the Nikon 5700 and Canon G5. They both look like great cameras, but in the sample images, they're both relatively noisy (just like the 990).
If you think the 990 has too much noise, you're going to be very dissapointed in a camera like the G5 (which has the same size CCD as the 3 Megapixel CCD used in the 990, with an extra 2 megapixels crammed into the same space).

Phil Askey (owner/editor of dpreview.com) said this about the G5 in his conclusion:

"The G5 suffers from higher noise than the G3, and notably higher than the competition, it also has a chromatic aberration problem which is more than I would expect to see on a modern digital camera."

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong5/page17.asp

The 990 actually handles noise pretty well at lower ISO speeds, when the photos are properly exposed -- especially compared to the newer 5 Megapixel Models using the same 1/1.8" CCD size.

The newer 3 Megapixel Models using the much smaller 1/2.7" CCD are even much worse IMO -- with noise visible even at ISO 50 in flesh tones in many images.

Solutions? By a Digital SLR, use Neat Image to reduce/"smooth out" noise, or make sure your photos are properly exposed, using the lowest ISO speed possible.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 5:14 PM   #4

I don't find the 5700 noisy unless I am shooting in a low lit room without a flash. Shooting in RAW cuts the noise even more as well.

-=-
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 5:30 PM   #5

When I shoot ISO800 and above, I really start to see unexceptable noise levels. But depending on how importaint
it is for me to shoot this picture without a flash becomes more
importaint then the outcome of the noise level. However, I use this program called neatimage. It helps clean that noise up pretty well. Its not ment really for anything else but to help try remove it. Its a nice tool for not too much money (Alot less then a new camera). Around 30 bucks. And Im very pleased with it. If you like. I could send you examples.
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 5:33 PM   #6

I forgot to mention that I shoot mainly 100 to 200 ISO ...I tried 400 and 800 and the pictures are unexceptable.

-=-
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 5:44 PM   #7
Administrator

Quality is all a matter of perspective.

The CP 5700 uses a larger (less dense) 2/3" 5 Megapixel CCD, compared to the newer compact models using the 1/1.8" CCD. So, it should have less noise.

But, there are always exceptions to the density rule. Look at the old Olympus C-2500L. It's 2.5 Megapixel 2/3" CCD was VERY noisy, even though it was less dense than competing CCD's.

Phil Askey measures noise in his reviews. Here are the resuls for the Coolpix 5700:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp5700/page16.asp

Personally, I don't mind the noise from most consumer cameras at normal print sizes. But, others do.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 5:54 PM   #8

Those who have problems with noise should try NeatImage, http://www.neatimage.com/

I've heard from some who regularly use higher ISOs and are pleased with the results after using this software (I don't shoot higher ISOs, so I haven't tried it yet).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 6:37 PM   #9

I have neatimage. Its not a tool to use all the time, but if you MUST shoot with a high noisy ISO setting. Then use this software. Works great. I would say it cuts your ISO by half? ie: shot with ISO400 makes it look like ISO200 afterwards or maybe even better?
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 7:19 PM   #10

Quick Sky Test:

All crops from original photos.

2560x1920 results:

@ ISO 100

@ ISO 200

@ ISO 400

@ ISO 800

1600x1200 results:

@ ISO 100

@ ISO 200