Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 20, 2008, 1:28 PM   #1

I have a Kodak Easy Share C743. I am using a 2g sd card and can see pictures on the camera display. But once the pics are downloaded to a PC they are not visible. Tried 2 differentPC's.I can see the file with properties and file size of 1mb. But the image will not display. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Help please. Thanks.
edreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2008, 1:49 PM   #2
Administrator

What are you trying to view them with (the software you're trying to use)?

If you "right click" on one of them, you should see an "open with" choice in Windows so that you can select your favorite image viewer/editor (and make it the default using the "always open with" check box if desired). Any preinstalled programs for imaging will probably be in the list (Windows Picture and fax viewer, Paint, etc.); or you'll see a "Select Program" choice you can use.

If you're just talking about viewing the thumbnails in Windows Explorer (My Computer), just change your View mode at the top under the View menu to show them.

If you don't have an image editor or viewer installed, then there are many choices (including a number of free programs like Picasa, Irfanview, or even Kodak's Easyshare Software).

Were you viewing them with software before and just started having an issue?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 2:30 PM   #3

Jim, I have tried to "open with"Windows pic & fax viewer, ie7, and paint. And i have tried to view with the "filmstrip" in file manager. Nothing will display the images. Strangely, I have many pics on the sd card but only 1/3 of them are not displaying. The rest can be viewed as normal.
edreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 2:44 PM   #4
Administrator

That's different (some display, some don't).

They're probably corrupted. But, you'd normally get an error trying to view corrupted files with most image viewers.

The memory card may have a corrupted file system on it and your best bet is to copy them from the card again using a recovery utility designed to ignore the File System entirely.

I suggest using this one. It's free. You'll see a download menu choice on the left side of the main page.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

If you have a card reader, that's your best bet (versus using the camera as a reader).

After opening the program, select your memory card list of media it finds, and give it a place to save the photos to on your hard disk when you are asked Where to Save Recovered Files (it defaults to saving recovered files in subfolders under Photorec, where the software is installed on your hard drive, but you can change it to something else if desired).

Don't worry about changing any of the other options. Just leave everything else at defaults (Partition type of Intel, file types to recover, etc.) and it will try to recover any images that haven't been overwritten yet (and don't try to do anything like take more photos or you may overwrite some of them, or try to use any utility that writes to the card).

Here's a page showing you how to use it:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

If you have any questions or issues, let me know. Make sure you can see your photos OK (not just the thumbnails) after recovering them.

Then, I'd format the card using the camera's menu choice for format (not your PC) before using it again. It's probably got a corrupted File Allocation Table and needs to be reformatted.

Old May 20, 2008, 2:53 PM   #5
Administrator

Photorec is easy to use as long as you don't get intimidated by all of the options, since you're going to leave most things at the defaults.

But, if you'd prefer a program with a Graphical User Interface, here's another free utility that's designed to locate and copy images from a card with a corrupted file system:

http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/smar...htm?Language=1