Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 25, 2008, 6:53 PM   #1

Forgot our main camera for a trip so went to Walmart and purchased the Kodak C713 for $99. This is a 7 MP camera, but the files are only around 1 MB in size, which makes no sense. My Canon A80 4MP camera makes 1.5-1MB pics. It says I can get 900 pics on a 1GB SD card, which is ridiculous for a 7MP camera.

First batch of pics were OK, but next batch at my mothers (She's 85 and I gave the camera to her) seemed a little pixelated - could be the resolution on her monitor.

But I thought it curious that the files are so small. I have gone through all the settings and it is set for 7MP and I don't fine any kind of compression settings at all, so I guess Kodak is compressing the heck out of the 7MP pictures, thus removing much quality.

Seems kind of misleading, I'd rather have a 4MP camera with much less compression I think.

Anybody know whats going on with this particular Kodak camera?
GTAlumnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2008, 10:11 PM   #2

Sorry, I can't claim to know what the deal is with this particular camera.

But....

Kodak has had a reputation for aggressive compression in their cameras. Still, considering how little resolution is required to get a clean image on a monitor, it doesn't seem reasonable that even aggressive compression could account for it.

Find the camera's menu that displays image size and compression settings. You might find that the camera is set for something other than Full Size and Best Quality (lowest compression ratio).

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 1:30 PM   #3

there should be quite a few image size choices on the menu you will need to change it accordingly

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 11:12 PM   #4

Unless it is hidden very well there are no menu selections for "quality" or "compression". My Canon camera has a setting "ultra fine" which is the top quality.

I don't see the point in having 7 mP and then compressing the file down to the quality of a 3MP camera.
GTAlumnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 7:58 AM   #5
Administrator

That's pretty common with the entry level Kodaks (no settings for jpeg compression/quality). Smaller than averge file sizes (most likely due to more compression than average) is a common complaint about these cameras.

The Z series model have those kinds of settings (but, not the lower priced C series models).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 5:26 PM   #6

GTAlumnus wrote:
Quote:
First batch of pics were OK, but next batch at my mothers (She's 85 and I gave the camera to her) seemed a little pixelated - could be the resolution on her monitor.
Could be the viewing software on your mother's computer crating the pixelization.

Based on some testing on my Z Kodak you're most likely to see compression effects on low contrast textures. Even then they probably wouldn't be visable on a 4x6 print.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 11:42 AM   #7

I can confirm that there is a difference between the Kodak Z series and the Kodak C series. I have two Z series cameras and 1 C series. When I take the same picture at the same resolution with the three cameras I get a 1.8MB file size with the Z series cameras and a .9MB file size with the C series camera.

I called Kodak but they did not give me a clear answer. The JPEG compression of the C series must be much higher then the JPEG compression of the Z series.
PhotoMan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 2:03 PM   #8

I've got a C713 and noticed the same thing. After a lot of playing around I discovered that the compression isn't all that bad on the camera... it's the Easyshare software that's compressing the hell out of the images. I uninstalled Easyshare and installed IrfanView. I set IrfanView to give me 100% JPG quality and my image sizes increased by about 2¾ times. To give you an example; an image acquired through Easyshare was 1172KB,and the same image acquired through IrfanView was 3261KB.

NOTE: After installing Irfanview, you doneed to uninstall Easyshare as IrfanView wont detect the cameraas a TWAIN source while Easyshare is there. After uninstalling Easyshare, plug the camera into thecomputer and turn it on... let windows detect it as new hardware then IrfanViewwill findit.

Enjoy!
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote