Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 27, 2003, 12:09 PM   #11

Good, that worked. I guess I understand this software better now....

What I meant to say up above, is that with a higher asa speed, maybe I can both go to the 1/4000th of a second, *and* close the lens down a little from the f2.8 setting, so I get a bit more depth of field, and the car is more likely to be in focus.
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2003, 5:19 PM   #12

Mike,
Your E100-rs has a pre-capture function that runs frames through a buffer, enabling you to halfpress the shutter button, and then when you press it the rest of the way, it saves however many frames you have it set up for prior to pressing the button. Check out your manual for details. I find it invaluable for shots such as this.
Stacie
Stacie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2003, 5:51 PM   #13

Yep, you're right - I've used it. I called Olympus to ask about how I can use BOTH the pre-capture mode, AND the ability to pre-view the shots I've taken after I take the picture. I haven't been able to do it, and Olympus told me it can't be done.

If I want to preview the image, after the shots are taken, I can't use "pre-capture". If I turn on pre-capture, I have to switch into playback mode to view the image.

You're completely right - if I could turn on pre-capture, I'd solve the problem I had, but to verify that it really worked, and that I really did get the image I wanted, I'd have to switch into the other mode and check. In retrospect, your way might have been better.

Stacie, do any "newer" cameras have the pre-capture feature? It's a great concept! I'd love to be able to use it on one of the newer DSLR cameras...
Old Sep 27, 2003, 9:24 PM   #14

Not that I know of...hence the excuse to hold onto the e100rs even after getting a DSLR (teehee)
Old Sep 27, 2003, 11:16 PM   #15

I like your logic!!! :-))))) That's why I still have way too many "older" cameras, many of which I don't use anymore.

I've sort of agreed to sell my e-10, but it's such a good camera I might not. I'll end up with the e-10, the e-100, my miniature Canon, and a DSLR....
Old Sep 27, 2003, 11:27 PM   #16

My kind of "logic" can get one in trouble...
I still have my Kodak DC280, my e100rs and my Canon Pro90....
And have been drooling over the Canon 1D, but can't get it right now...however, the boards over at dpreview have started my eye wandering over to the digital Rebel, after all, it is cheaper than the 1D......help!
Old Sep 28, 2003, 9:55 AM   #17

I'm not sure if this is the kind of "help" you need or want, but here goes....

In every single instance when I've bought "less" than what I really wanted to buy, a while later I was really sorry for making that choice. What seems so expensive when you're buying something, seems later on like "but for just a little more, I could have bought..." and there you are.

I don't know the Digital Rebel at all, but the 1D sounds like an excellent camera. If it took Nikon lenses, it would already be on my list. The EOS-1D sells for $3400 to $4000. Then there's the newer EOS-10D which sells for $1500 or so.

Gee, that sounds like the choice I'm trying to make, and "older" and "better" camera for more money, or a "newer" and "more advanced" camera for less money. I don't know the Rebel, but it sure sounds like if I were you, I'd be leaning towards the 10D.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 3:14 PM   #18

I know, you are right. I probably would regret compromising. I am just going to stay away from any stores until I get the money to get what I really want! The hard part is when I am using the cameras I have now, and they don't do what I want to do...I am not a very patient person sometimes!
Old Sep 28, 2003, 3:25 PM   #19

Gee, that's *exactly* where I'm at right now!!! The cameras I've got now don't do what I want, and while I can make them do almost what I want, it's so frustrating when others, using the equipment I wish I had, can do it so easily!!!

I don't really have a choice - it's do the best I can with what I've got, or not do anything. I know what equipment I need to get to fix things, but while I've got it narrowed down to (only) three choices, it's so hard picking just which one to get.

............question - why wouldn't you just go out and buy the Canon 10D? I can't (wrong format lenses), but it sounds like an excellent camera, the price is right, and it's right up to date on software, etc.?
Old Sep 28, 2003, 3:43 PM   #20

I really want the 1D for the focus points and the speed. I know the rebel and the 10D don't have the 8fps or the same focus system, it just gets tempting sometimes to upgrade to one that would be an improvement in most other catagories. Maybe in a few months (Christmas, perhaps?) I will take the plunge. Until then, I will try and refrain from throwing my camera into the gorilla pit at the zoo! ( I came close to doing that one day)
:lol: