Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 28, 2003, 2:39 AM   #1

Default tricky pictures

What type of a camera (and/or accessories) would it take to capture Mars "sitting on top" of a pine tree? There's a huge pine tree across the street with the perfect "christmas tree" shape and when I stood just right Mars "sat" right "on top" like a Christmas tree topper.

I see a lot of things I'd love to capture on film (light streaming in thru a window, the light cast on walls from dappled sunshine (it's pretty cool the way the shadows "dance" around in the late afternoon in our kitchen), etc. Are these kind of shots for the "pro's" (big$) only?

Is a $300-$500 digital camera capable of shots like these?

Thanks for your input,
Becky
Becky0669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2003, 7:09 AM   #2
NHL

Quote:
Is a $300-$500 digital camera capable of shots like these?
Yes!

What you'll need is a stable tripod since the camera will be taking the picture with a slower shutter speed and any movement will make your low-light pictures blurry. I would look for cameras with a remote control or with a timer built-in (ie you can't press the shutter because this also moves the camera). Most cameras also have manual mode which will allow you more control (ie overide the camera setting to your liking).

However for Mars I don't think you'll be able to include the Christmas tree topper. Either you'll get the tree and Mars will be overexposed or Mars alone and everything else black... This is with (big$) dSLR!

... there's other Photoshop tricks of course :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2003, 9:17 AM   #3

Default Photoshop it

Take two shots day/night
divco-honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2003, 10:16 AM   #4

Default Re: tricky pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky0669
What type of a camera (and/or accessories) would it take to capture Mars "sitting on top" of a pine tree?
The beauty of digicams is that it costs nothing but time to do the experiments. Get the camera on a tripod and take many, many different exposures. If none look right on your computer, combine two of them, as others have suggested.

You do need a camera with manual control of one sort or another.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2003, 10:23 AM   #5

The simplest way of doing this that I can see is to take two shots, one with mars focused and the other with the tree focused. Then just blend them in photoshop.
ralphuk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2003, 11:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphuk100
The simplest way of doing this that I can see is to take two shots, one with mars focused and the other with the tree focused. Then just blend them in photoshop.
Here's how to do that:
http://luminous-landscape.com/tutori...blending.shtml

I have to be honest though that some of these results do look odd because having been a long time photographer, I know these results are not true to the scene.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2003, 1:10 PM   #7

Default Mars

The photo-editing suggestions are best. That's one of the reasons to do the digital thing rather than film cameras. It could take forever trying to do this with film. You could go max zoom for Mars, then shoot the best tree pic and combine them. But what could Mars be, without a telescope? just a dot of light, several pixels perhaps?
mrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2003, 1:14 PM   #8

As already mentioned with other comments, the beauty of the digital camera is you can try all kinds of varations. The other wonderful thing about digital is instant response. You can look at what you have shot and see if you need a do over (mulligan for us golfers).
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2003, 2:38 PM   #9

Default Or, you might want to...

Set it up as a long exposure an use a hand held flash to zap the tree sometime during the shot. If its dark enough, you can even stand in the pic using the flash as the flash will cause the tree to be the only thing highlighted...YMMV.

Playing with my D30.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 7:41 PM   #10

Thanks for the input. To be really honest though, a lot of this is greek to me. I guess you can do just about anything with photo-shop - I could stick a picture of myself on top of the tree for that matter. I kind of meant being able to shoot the *real* McCoy - just as I see it. I guess that's where NHL mentioned the big bucks camera...

But now how about playing with shadows and light? How to take a picture of the sun coming thru the trees and dancing on the wall without looking at the picture and wondering what the heck I took a picture of the wall for?!

I have a feeling if you know what you're doing you can take some awesome pictures with a "nothing" camera - Ansel Adams shot "rose on driftwood" with a rinky dink nothing to it camera (when he was a kid no less!). But for the average "jane" like me who doesn't have the "gift" - there must be a camera that can make up for my loss!? (one I can afford is the question!)...
Becky0669 is offline   Reply With Quote