Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 29, 2008, 10:51 PM   #1

Have any of you used an ExpoDisc? What were your experiences? Is this another one of many gimics? Or does it actually help you to achieve good white balance in all conditions?

http://www.vistek.ca/store/CameraFil...al-filter.aspx
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2008, 3:37 AM   #2

It seems to me that this is another way to set a custom white balance. Not necessarily better or worse than any other way.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 10:51 AM   #3

TCav wrote:
Quote:
It seems to me that this is another way to set a custom white balance. Not necessarily better or worse than any other way.
Hey TCav,

Running for president? Such a dimplomatic answer.

Seriously, yes it is to set custom WB. They say "more accurately". They being ExpoDisc. I suppose it is a lot easier than carrying around grey cards as Expodisc's fit over your existing lens as a filter would. So it's a lot more compact.

I was just curious. Being a hobbyist I don't think using any of the presets wouldn't give me pleasing results. Even if they aren't the most accurate.

Might just pick one up for the hell of it and see how it goes. Just wondered if any of the other members might have or am presently using them. And what their expereinces have been.

In a way it does also seem like a bit of a hassle to have to whip out the ExpoDisc to set a custom WB setting for that one scene before taking the shots. Even if it does get you "accurate" WB.

Have a good weekend TCav.

Old May 30, 2008, 10:54 AM   #4
Administrator

You may want to take a look on Ebay for "Knock offs", too (just search for White Balance Cap). They're under $5

A translucent gray Pringles Can lid used to be a popular tool for setting WB that way. But, they went to a clear cap on them a while back.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 1:54 PM   #5

I have a microfiber lens cleaning cloth that happens to be 18% gray (so long as my lenses don't get too dirty.) I thought that itwould bethe perfect way for me to set a custom white balance. When I set my first custom white balance, I'll let you know how it works.
Old May 30, 2008, 2:39 PM   #6

Yep good point JimC. Never really thought of cheap alternatives. Spending $5.00 on eBay sounds a lot better than spending $110.00 for an Expodisc. Though, I'm not one for eBay. Don't know why. Plus, the ExpoDisc actuallly screws onto the front of your lens like a screw on filter. Probably will last longer than the $5.00 alternative.

Would like to hear how TCav's grey cloth works out though. And how he would use the grey cloth to set a custom WB. I suppose he would place it in front of the subject and take a reading.

But again, seems as if the expensive ExpoDisc solution is better in that you don't need the subject to hold a grey cloth (assuming your subject is a person). With the ExpoDisc you just screw it onto your lens, point it in the direction of the light source and take a reading. Or I think that's how it's done. IIRC.
Old May 30, 2008, 2:47 PM   #7
Administrator

It doesn't screw on, it snaps (the ExpoDisc is not threaded). If you buy one larger one for all lenses, just hold it in front of the lens while pointing at the light source to get a reading using your Custom WB feature.

From the ExpoDisc Quickstart guide:

Quote:
1. INSTALL THE EXPODISC. Snap the ExpoDisc over the front of your lens (white side towards camera). Since the ExpoDisc is not a threaded filter, it does not need to be screwed on. If using a larger diameter ExpoDisc than yourlens size, hold the ExpoDisc in place over the lens.
Old May 30, 2008, 2:51 PM   #8
Administrator

Some of the under $5 WB caps come with a filter adapter though. Here's one example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270240647164

Old May 30, 2008, 3:07 PM   #9

Ken Rockwell has an article about these things. It seems cool, but probably serious overkill for the hobbiest.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/expodisc.htm
smithkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 3:16 PM   #10

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Would like to hear how TCav's grey cloth works out though. And how he would use the grey cloth to set a custom WB. I suppose he would place it in front of the subject and take a reading.
It's supposed to work just like a gray card except that it folds easier. (... and you can use it to clean lenses.)