Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 10, 2002, 10:58 AM   #1

Default airport security and memory cards

I know I read about this subject on the old forum but I don't recall the answer. Do airport security xrays have an effect on memory cards? If so, what can be done to protect them?

Thanks

[Edited on 6-10-2002 by floydster]

[Edited on 6-10-2002 by floydster]
floydster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2002, 3:26 PM   #2

Default not a problem

I (and my CF cards) have been through the airport x-rays at least a dozen times so far this year, and have never had a problem. So fear not!

These are Compact flash type I cards, ranging from 32 to 256 Meg. They are usually in the outer-most pocked of my carry on... So they are probably getting a good hit of radiation.

--nw
NoWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2002, 5:32 PM   #3

The 1Gb IBM Microdrive I had went through the XRAY with no problem. I'd carry it in my backpack.

Oliver
OliverC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2002, 6:18 PM   #4
NHL

X-Ray scanner @ airport are OK for both CF and microdrive. US Postal Service irradiation are not !!!

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/020108/70524_1.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2002, 8:35 AM   #5

I thought the metal detectors next to the x-ray machines were also a no-no for memory cards because of their magnetic fields. Is that true?
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2002, 9:39 AM   #6

I'm not sure about the memory cards, but my Olympus C-2100UZ was scanned by my airport's x-ray machine and I ended up with a dead pixel. The camera was only 1 month old, so I sent it back to Olympus for repairs. I pack it in my suitcase now. The same thing happened with my Olympus C-2000 but since it wasn't under warranty I've left it like it is. My airport won't let my take my camera as carry on unless it is scanned.
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2002, 2:10 PM   #7
NHL

marokero/Karen

They don't let you wear your camera though the metal detector, and make them go through the X-Ray machine just like laptops. Memory card are solid state devices and wouldn't get disturb in any way; however microdrives and laptop computers may be influenced by magnetic fields...

A computer floppy disk is the weakest link and if theses disks couldn't be damaged by the detector, I wouldn't worry about CF or cameras. If pixels get damaged by the X_Ray machine, I'm sure business folks will be screaming and yelling by now since this must be the nth time I (or business travelers) have brought laptops throuh the airport security gates! LCD pixels die by their own sometime and can not be solely blamed on the X-Ray machine, mechanical shocks are more harmful to the LCD than anything. In fact the manufacturing process itself create dead pixel which the firmware inside the camera must systematically mask out!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2002, 2:14 PM   #8

Karen, I think it was a coincidence that your C-2100UZ developed a dead pixel after being scanned by the x-ray machine. Admitedly my E-10 has gone though x-ray machines only 6 times, but in none of those occasions did it develop a dead pixel. I think Olympus should offer their customers a firmware upgrade with pixel mapping (maybe around $20) so you avoid their $385 minimum charge for out of warranty cameras.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote