Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 1, 2008, 10:09 PM   #1

I happen to have the F6 brochure. In the back it lists compatible lenes. Does that mean those are the only lenses that should be used with the F6? Does this mean you can't use new FF AF lens on it like the new 14-24 f/2.8 or 24-70 f/2.9? Which were introduced with the D300/D3.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2008, 4:51 AM   #2

You can use those lenses on the F6. You can even use the DX lenses on the F6...you'll just have serious vignetting at many focal lengths. Although this camera is still in production, it's likely the manual has not been updated since the F6 was released in 2004.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 10:49 AM   #3

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
You can use those lenses on the F6. You can even use the DX lenses on the F6...you'll just have serious vignetting at many focal lengths. Although this camera is still in production, it's likely the manual has not been updated since the F6 was released in 2004.
Hiya RJ,

Thanks for your reply. Just looked at the back of the F6 brochure again. According to the brochure FF AF lenses are indeed compatible. As are AL-P type, AL- and AL-S type Nikkors. But the brochure stresses (or mentions) that "DX and IX-Nikkor lenses cannot be used". Sort of sounds like an adamant "No" as opposed to "not recommended".

Any how I'm just curious. Vaguely entertaining the thought of picking one up. Very hard to get a hold of yet they are still commanding high prices. Usually $1900.00 USD/CAD. If I can get one for $1500 CAD I might buy one. Will see.

Have a good week!
Old Jun 2, 2008, 12:37 PM   #4

Theoretically they can be mounted and used. I've mounted DX lenses on film bodies out of curiosity. They work fine, they just don't cover the whole image circle which is why they state they cannot be used.

The F6 is a great camera. I just don't think it's worth the money. Considering you can get an F100 which does 85% of what the F6 does for about $250 9originally over $1000 new), and with the same image quality...unless you needed the finer bells and whistles, you're better off getting 5 f100's.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 1:06 PM   #5

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Theoretically they can be mounted and used. I've mounted DX lenses on film bodies out of curiosity. They work fine, they just don't cover the whole image circle which is why they state they cannot be used.

The F6 is a great camera. I just don't think it's worth the money. Considering you can get an F100 which does 85% of what the F6 does for about $250 9originally over $1000 new), and with the same image quality...unless you needed the finer bells and whistles, you're better off getting 5 f100's.

I don't know. You're probably right. While Nikon says you "cannot" they probably mean "not recommended". Not that a DX lens literally will not work on a FSLR camera.

I'll look into the F100. The F6 will take 3-4 weeks for the shop I spoke to to get them in. Backordered. Apparently there's still a demand. I mean I'm considering one...But hoping I can negotiate a better price. Less than the street price of a D300. Not sure they will be willing but will find out soon enough. Did e-mail them a few minutes ago.

I'm sort of surprised the F6 still commands a high price. I see it selling for $1900.00 a lot on both CAD and US sites. All "out of stock" though. Well mostly. I wonder if the F6 are breing shipped directly from Japan. Would explain the 3-4 week wait.

Just did a search for the F100...http://www.amazon.com is selling them for only $244.99 USD. That's pocket change. Has that magnesium body. Shoots 4.x fps. Costs less than most Nikkor glass too. Do you own a F100?

And I heard from my contact about the F6. They are ordered on a confirmed order basis. And there is no discount since Nikon Canada doesn't see the need to offer discounts on the camera. Guess I won't be getting a F6. A F100? Perhaps. So cheap.

....because that was for a used F100. A new one would run $899.99 USD. Which is still better than paying $1900 for a F6...heh...
Old Jun 2, 2008, 1:45 PM   #6
Administrator

B&H has the F100 in stock (US model) for $749.95 and has 4 of them in their used department, ranging in price from $319 to $399. I don't know about trying to get service on it since you're not in the U.S. and Nikon Canada may frown upon servicing a camera not intended for sale in Canada.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...dy_Black_.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 1:58 PM   #7

There are currently a few F100's on KEH in EX condition for under $300. I've seen them go even cheaper on Ebay, if you're a bit more daring. I bought an F100 for giggles late last year since they are so cheap. I'll use it in more rugged conditions or if anyone ever wants me to shoot film. I've haven't shot a whole roll of film yet in the 6 months i've had it. It's funny, my 13 year old daughter doesn't understand the concept of film and can't believe you can't see the image right after taking it. She doesn't believe all her baby pics were shot with film and thinks I'm crazy for owning a film camera. Since I haven't used it since I've gotten it, and haven't shot my F80 in 2 years, maybe she's right.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 2:36 PM   #8
Administrator

I didn't realize keh shipped internationally. But, a quick check of their help page shows that they do (although it says they won't ship new Nikon or Canon gear internationally).

They're my favorite vendor for used gear, followed by B&H.

http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/faq.aspx#aShipInter

Old Jun 2, 2008, 5:54 PM   #9

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Will be in LA in early July. Might order while I'm there. And there is the extended warranty from B&H called Sagemax. Which is good "inernationally" (minus 2 US states). But if I get a "LN" grade used F100 I should be okay.

How old is the F100? (No I haven't Googled it yet...heh). You can still find new F100's and some used models in various states of wear.

And which shop would you guys say is the best place to order film in the US? B&H or KEH? Or is there a better place (price, good supply...etc.). Like to try some Fuji Velvia 50 and Kodachrome 64/200 (think this is color slide film IIRC).
Old Jun 2, 2008, 6:59 PM   #10
Administrator

The F100 was introduced in 1999 and discontinued in 2006.

Thom Hogan has a good review of it here:

http://www.bythom.com/F100.htm

I'd probably lean towards B&H for film.

Also, I wouldn't worry about buying a camera that's not in LN condition. keh has very conservative ratings. EX should be just fine (or even lower if you don't mind minor cosmetic related flaws). I've bought a Bargain condition gear from them that probably should have been graded around Excellent (probably marked down just because they were missing things like caps and were no longer popular items because of digital).