Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 8, 2008, 8:19 PM   #1

Anyone have a recommendation on a good Windows based laptop for Photoshop? Perhaps something in the range of $1,500. or less, with a decentdisplay and Windows XP. Your advice is appreciated. Dan.
Dan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2008, 9:20 PM   #2

take a look at the Dell Latitude line of laptop computers. They have a variety of screen sizes, resolutions and display adapters. You can certainly find a good, reliable laptop for your needs and budget.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:41 PM   #3

I know you said Windows based, but you should definitely look into switching to a Mac especially for photo editing and stuff.

You would love your Mac for so many other things too. Just a suggestion.
Cyrus14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 1:34 PM   #4
Administrator

This thread is old enough so that the Original Poster has probably found a laptop by now. But, I'd check with Dell Outlet at http://www.dell.com/outlet for deals on factory refurbished laptops (or desktops, monitors and more).

My wife got a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop with a 17" True Live screen towards the end of last year from Dell Outlet at a great price compared to a new one (Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, Wireless, Bluetooth, modem, 120GB Drive (with two drive bays so you can add another one), DVD Drive, Vista Home Premium and more... all for about $600 after discounts and coupon codes.

Note that they also have them with XP instead of Vista, but I didn't care about what Windows version was installed, since my wife isn't going to use Windows anyway (she prefers SimplyMEPIS 7.0). Vista runs better than expected on it (but, if you plan on using mostly Windows, I'd probably stick with XP).

Just find a good deal on a basic laptop and add to it later (larger or second hard drive, more RAM, etc.). I've got it setup dual boot with both Linux (SimplyMEPIS 7.0) and Vista, and it works great (especially with Linux). Even though it's only got Intel's x3100 graphics chipset (versus a dedicated graphics card), it works fine (even for 3D apps), as long as you're not a hard core gamer and need faster frame rates. I didn't even bother to add more RAM to it (since she doesn't need it for what she does anyway). If she was doing a lot of raw processing, then I'd go to 3 or 4GB with it (just buy the RAM from a vendor like newegg.com and install it myself).

I've bought 3 different refurbished machines from Dell Outlet so far, and they're all still working just fine (including a 3GHZ P4 based Dell Dimension 8300 I got in refurbished condition in 2004 for $479, including lots of extras). More recently, I got a refurbished Core 2 Quad (Q6600 with 8MB total L2 Cache) based desktop with 3GB of RAM, dual 320GB SATA drives, DVD writer w/dbl. layer ability, modem, built in card reader, Vista Home Premium and more for around $400 after discounts and coupon codes (the CPU, RAM, drives, and other extras would have probably cost you more if you tried to build one yourself, not even counting the motherboard, case, power supply, etc.).

They all looked and worked just like new when they arrived (I couldn't tell the difference from a new PC with any of them), and had the same warranty as you'd get on a brand new machine (for example, my latest refurbished desktop included a 1 year in home warranty).

You can sometimes find some pretty good deals thanks to coupon codes for even more off at Dell Outlet (I've waited for coupon codes for extra discounts every time). Just be patient until you find a good deal (and they have them pretty often). ;-) Here's one place with Dell coupon codes to keep an eye on (and there are many more):

http://www.xpbargains.com/st_deals.p...et_coupons.htm

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 4:02 PM   #5

I've been working with both Macintoshes and PCs for over 20 years. (My first Apple Computer was a Lisa with the 7/7 software.) There are things that the Mac does better than the PC, and things the PC does better than the Mac. One is not always better than the other.

To be sure, they are each unique computing paradigms, and some prefer one paradigm over the other. But the maintainability of Macintoshes, especially Macintosh laptops, is just plain 'off the charts' awful.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote