Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 11, 2008, 1:25 AM   #1

I could do with opinions on the Canon A650 IS from owners .Also this problem of 12 MP.Having just bought a Canon12mp camera on a try and returnagreement,I do find it takes ages to down load pictures to my computer and is taking up so much space on my hard drive at 12 mp and extra fine settings,,

The camera also has 5 and 8 mp settings and reducing it to fine or normal instead of extrafine shows many more photos available on my card ,

Question please ,if I reduce the camera to say 5 mp and just fine or even normal do I loose any thing like IQ ,I dont ever crop ,it seems its the makers of these cameras upping the MP count for no good reason I wonder.

I might return this Canon 650 IS.you know Canon quaility of construction is if this is any thing to go by is getting toy townplasticky:whack:, big ugly toy as well,any one else have a take on this camera please..

exuse grammer and spelling please if any mistakes.
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2008, 5:14 AM   #2

Absolutely. Yes. If you decrease the resolution(from 12MP down to 8MP or even 5MP)and/or increase the compression (from Extra Fine down to Fine or even Normal), Image Quality will suffer.

The real question is 'Does it matter?' If you never print your photos at anything larger than 4x6, then you probably won't notice the difference.

I suggest you take the same photo of a highly detailed subject (a close-up of a flower, or a tapestry, or something else that you would normally shoot) at every resolution at every compression setting, and print them out at the largest size you are ever likely to use (4x6, 5x7, 8x10) and examine each photo to see how much degradation you are willing to tolerate.

And while 12MP files can be large, it's possible that transferring them to your computer cna be sped up. Are you using the camera or a card reader to transfer your photos? Is your camera or card reader plugged into a USB 2.0 port?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 9:04 AM   #3
Administrator

rodo wrote:
Quote:
I could do with opinions on the Canon A650 IS from owners .Also this problem of 12 MP.Having just bought a Canon12mp camera on a try and returnagreement,I do find it takes ages to down load pictures to my computer and is taking up so much space on my hard drive at 12 mp and extra fine settings
Disk space is very cheap now. You can get a 500GB drive for under $100, and I'm seeing some of 750GB drives for around $119 now. . ;-)

Try newegg.com. They've got pretty good prices on anything computer related. Click the choice you want from the Hard Drives menu on the left (internal, external, etc.) and you'll see more filters for the type of drive you want.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category...me=Hard-Drives

As for transfer time, get a good USB 2.0 card reader (they're very inexpensive).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 12:04 PM   #4

I agree with TCav and JimC.

rodo wrote:
Quote:
... ,I dont ever crop , ...
The only times that I have been able to shot without most of them being able to be improved by cropping is when I take a longish time thinking about what i am doing, moving about to find the perfect spot, choosing the right focal length, making sure the camera is level on the tripod, ..., - not the way I can shoot the grandkids or most other action situations. If I am taking that amount of time, the file size doesn't really matter since there are few shots.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote