Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 29, 2003, 6:15 PM   #1

Default Gateway digital cameras

I would like to know if anyone knows about or owns a Gateway DC-M40 camera or any of thier camerasfor that matter. I would like to know what the quality is like
Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2003, 6:39 PM   #2
Administrator

According to Jeff Keller (owner/editor of dcresource.com), the following is true:

The DC-M40 is apparently the same camera as the Skanhex SX-410z3.

The DC-M50 is apparently the Skanhex DX-520Z (a.k.a., Argus DC3810).

See more info about the cameras on Jeff's August 28th news on this page:

http://www.dcresource.com/news_archives/aug03.shtml

Here is the manufacturers web site:

http://www.skanhex.com

I've never heard of them before.

Pbase.com has over 13 Million Photos online. Yet, I can't find a single photo from a SkaNhex or Gateway camera. According to the specs on the manufacturers web site, these cameras support EXIF 2.1, so if any Pbase.com subscribers had them, they should be showing up.

http://www.pbase.com/cameras

I have not yet found any professional reviews, but the CNET.COM user opinions don't look very good for the DC-M40 you asked about.

As of a few minutes ago, 57% of the users responding do NOT recommend the camera (when more users dislike a product, compared to the number of users that like a product, a huge red flag goes up with me).

http://reviews.cnet.com/Gateway_DC_M...6.html?tag=box
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 6:48 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Pbase.com has over 13 Million Photos online. Yet, I can't find a single photo from a SkaNhex or Gateway camera. According to the specs on the manufacturers web site, these cameras support EXIF 2.1, so if any Pbase.com subscribers had them, they should be showing up.
Correction:

I was looking at one of the Skanhex 5MP Models. The specs on the Skanhex web site for the SX-410z3 (Gateway DC-M40) do not mention EXIF support (common in virtually all digicams now).

So, I don't know if this model supports EXIF or not. If not, that may be why I can't find any photos from it on pbase.com
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 8:24 PM   #4

there is a review in PC magazine. It was given an average score. the web site is www.pcmag.com
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 9:10 PM   #5

Check out this thread for my quick review of the DC-M40:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=13996
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 11:53 AM   #6

Not to be a pain.. and not wanting to start flame wars.......

but...

when buying electronics, it is wise to look at that company's previous history of innovation, reliability, features, and support before jumping in.

So far, Gateway has under-whelmed me with their quality, reliability, pricing, and service.... but your results may be different than mine...

And...

Gateway has never made or marketed *any* sort of imaging device before..... not even a printer.......

And....

Gateway has no history of any involvement with cameras pior to this model.....

and I do understand that you have to start somewhere... Sony was not a Camera company either.....

Anyway, once I understood something about cameras and what makes a good camera (digital or not), I bought a camera made by a well-known camera manufacturer.

Best regards

John
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 12:39 PM   #7

The thing that would worry me about the Gateway cameras is their advertising campaign. They're hyping megapixels and "very competitive pricing", not image quality. That being said, I was looking for an inexpensive, mostly automatic point and shoot to give to an eight year old...and their little 2mp machine is high on my list.
JimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 12:42 PM   #8

I own a Gateway PC; they make nice computers and great laptops. Dunno about the digi-cameras though.
mrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2003, 4:30 AM   #9

Gateway builds their own PC's still. Atleast, i think they still do.

The problem with all the extras they are now selling is they are not the OEM. They're branching out into more and more electronics to keep money flowing into the business. Computer margins are simply too thin to maintain growth.

I have a Gateway Mastercard, and earn points whenever I purchase things. So, my natural starting place whenever I want to buy something is Gateway. I always check there to see if it's worth spending my points. Unless I'm buying a PC, it's not worth the expense.

Gateway, and now Dell, are getting heavily into electronics. However, their pricing and the overall selection isn't worthwhile. What I have found that seems to work is to do all of your reviewing on as many sites as you are aware of. Once you know exactly what you are looking for, check out eBay. I got a great deal on a Canon G5 recently.
jmattingly is offline   Reply With Quote