Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 12, 2008, 1:08 AM   #1

Can some one recommend the top camera shops in Los Angeles? Oronline camera shops based in LA?
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2008, 9:02 AM   #2

There are a number of camera stores in Los Angeles, but I haven't been to many of them. I guess it will depend somewhat on what you are looking for.

Samys, the one on Fairfax (they have multiple locations)is supposed to be a multi-level camera store and I keep meaning to go there sometime. I've been to Bel Air Camera quite often and like them - they aren't that big, but are reasonably well stocked. They aren't the cheapest place either - they usually sell for retail, not discount - but the people who work there are friendly and knowledgeable, they have demo cameras that you can touch and feel (they've let me take sample pictures with my own card, so I could compare them at home with ones from my old camera) and I'm willing to pay extra for such good service these days.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:30 AM   #3

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
There are a number of camera stores in Los Angeles, but I haven't been to many of them. I guess it will depend somewhat on what you are looking for.

Samys, the one on Fairfax (they have multiple locations)is supposed to be a multi-level camera store and I keep meaning to go there sometime. I've been to Bel Air Camera quite often and like them - they aren't that big, but are reasonably well stocked. They aren't the cheapest place either - they usually sell for retail, not discount - but the people who work there are friendly and knowledgeable, they have demo cameras that you can touch and feel (they've let me take sample pictures with my own card, so I could compare them at home with ones from my old camera) and I'm willing to pay extra for such good service these days.
Thanks for posting. Will check them out when I'm in LA. And I believe Samys has a website so I could order from them and have them ship locally. Are those the two more established shops in LA? Or are there better shops servicing the hobbyist and the professional?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 3:17 PM   #4

I don't know about most established but I think Samys is aboutthe largest, and I've heard that they have good service. Bel Air Camera is family owned and has been in business for at least 20 years, probably longer, and I occasionally see a local TV station vanparked in front of it (whether that means anything or not, I don't know). They are close to where I work so very convenient (they also have a web site, but they carry in-store much more than they list on-line). I've heard of a number of other camera stores in the SoCal area, but haven't been to any of them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 8:01 PM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I don't know about most established but I think Samys is aboutthe largest, and I've heard that they have good service. Bel Air Camera is family owned and has been in business for at least 20 years, probably longer, and I occasionally see a local TV station vanparked in front of it (whether that means anything or not, I don't know). They are close to where I work so very convenient (they also have a web site, but they carry in-store much more than they list on-line). I've heard of a number of other camera stores in the SoCal area, but haven't been to any of them.
Ok. Thanks for your posts. Will keep them in mind while I'm in LA.

Though, I'm sure I could also order from Adorama.com, B&H, Calumet....etc. And they would surely ship to CA. Just wondere which are the most established/respected shops in LA. In Toronto it's Vistek and Henry's. Well, they are the top two. We have other smaller shops like Aden Camera, Downtown Camera...etc.