Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:37 AM   #1

Hello,

I am planning to get a sd-400 flash and some filter to protect the lens of my camera.

Is the sd-400 is good enough for a me (beginner) and I see there are so many filters

which type should I look into and price range if possible.

Thanks !

Guppies
guppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:08 AM   #2

Ill take a stab, flash first. If you just want a better flash than the onboard, then yes the SB-400 will improve both the flash and cycle time. But, you haven't listed what lenses you have. If you plan on taking shots at any distance I would recomennd the SB-600. The flash bulb will help with zoom lenses and super wides. Also you can tilt the SB-600 when taking portrait shots, where as you can't with the SB-400. Even though you are considering yourself a beginner, take the long view and which one is going to suit your needs in the future.

Filters, depends on your personal opinion. Some like them, some dont, do a search. Most of my lenses wear them. Other than NC filters, the only other filter I now carry with a digital setup is a Circular Polarizer and a -2.0 ND filter. Everything else can be worked on in Photoshop.

HTH

John
DragonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:54 AM   #3

DragonRider wrote:
Quote:
Ill take a stab, flash first. If you just want a better flash than the onboard, then yes the SB-400 will improve both the flash and cycle time. But, you haven't listed what lenses you have. If you plan on taking shots at any distance I would recomennd the SB-600. The flash bulb will help with zoom lenses and super wides. Also you can tilt the SB-600 when taking portrait shots, where as you can't with the SB-400. Even though you are considering yourself a beginner, take the long view and which one is going to suit your needs in the future.

Filters, depends on your personal opinion. Some like them, some dont, do a search. Most of my lenses wear them. Other than NC filters, the only other filter I now carry with a digital setup is a Circular Polarizer and a -2.0 ND filter. Everything else can be worked on in Photoshop.

HTH

John
Quote:
Thank you for your reply, the lens I have comes with the 40d kit 18-55mm and I also have 55 -200 mm vr. I will take a look at the SB-600 and I looking for a Polarizer filter too. There are so many brand and their price range are $ 30 - $ 100+. Please recommand !
Quote:
Guppies
Old Jun 17, 2008, 6:00 PM   #4

guppies, take a look at this discussion:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=50

There is a lot of good information about filters.

If you are looking for a filter just to protect the front element of your lens, most people go with either a UV filter, a skylight filter or what they just call a "protective" filter -- which isn't really a filter, just a piece of clear glass in a frame.

The above discussion brings up brands, quality and price.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 2:54 PM   #5

granthagen wrote:
Quote:
guppies, take a look at this discussion:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=50

There is a lot of good information about filters.

If you are looking for a filter just to protect the front element of your lens, most people go with either a UV filter, a skylight filter or what they just call a "protective" filter -- which isn't really a filter, just a piece of clear glass in a frame.

The above discussion brings up brands, quality and price.

Grant
Quote:
Hello,
Quote:
Thank you for your respone. I do more reading last couple of days. Since I am so new to DSLR and own a Nikon D40 with kit len. I am planning to go for a 55 - 200 mm VR, SB-400 flash and the following...
Quote:
I go thru the rebview the sb-600 is better but look to me, the extra option for the 600 I will not use for now. And 400 are much smaller. I am looking for a flash just to make sure I have something to give me more light if I need it.
Quote:
I nail down to a B+W 52mm Circular Polarize (MC) for $ 79.99 and a Hoya. B+W is $ 15.00 more
Quote:
And I have to read more, since some lens so say Slim Glass filter and other say Glass filter, Need to know the different.
Quote:
I might get a NDfilter too. But got confuse since they have 0.3,0.6,0.9,1,2,3,...etc
Quote:
Any recommand is great...Thanks !
Quote:
Guppies
Old Jun 18, 2008, 11:03 PM   #6

Here's a short page that helps explain the numbers different manufacturers use to identify the strength of their ND filters:

http://www.great-landscape-photograp...ty-filter.html

Another very useful filter is the Graduated Neutral Density filter. These are dark at one end and gradually get lighter and lighter until they are clear. GND filters help to balance out the contrast in landscapes or other situations where there is a huge amount of contrast between two different parts of the scene. If you've ever tried to take a picture where either the sky gets blown out to get a properly exposed foreground or you get a good sky but an underexposed foreground, you can see the usefulness of such filters. Here's another link that explains them more fully:

http://www.great-landscape-photograp...d-filters.html

The "slim glass" filters that you see are usually for wide angle lenses. They are also referred to as "low profile" filters. They are less prone to produce vignetting on wide angle lenses than "regular" filters.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote