Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 30, 2003, 8:30 AM   #1

Default Canon A70 or Sony P72. What? Why?And the Video Mode

Sorry, i'm from brazil and my english is a shit! :lol:
The A70 vídeo mode (AVI) is limited up to 3min., independent of memory capacity ? It's true?
wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2003, 10:08 AM   #2

It is my unserstanding that is true, but 3 min is pretty long for a pocket sized digital camera.

I have been comparing shots taken by Casio QVR40, Sony P72, Can A70 on the gallery site at Galleriet.Akamera suggested by "Lids" in the Casio QV-R40 thread located in the Casio forum. I have downloaded several images, cropped to extreme, some center shots, some far corner, to check Chromatic Aberration and also just to check clarity and performance in general. One pic in particular, Akershus showing the bow of a sailboat and a large brick structure up above, to the left, I severely cropped (and saved) the left most section showing bricks, trees & leaves, of each of the three samples and was able to make note of several attributes/deficiencies with that one shot. All the cams have certain positive attributes but the Canon A70 shots do look slightly softer. Didn't notice any color fringing however. More CA noticed on the Casio especially toward the edges, less blooming and CA noticed on the Sony. But the Sony seems less accurate on the blue end of the color spectrum than the other two. Don't know how to post pics so I cannot share what I am seeing but it is interesting. These pics most likely are compressed for the upload to the album site so I cannot quantify that aspect of this. But it is probably not a completely accurate comparison due to the compression. Also we don't know if all the cams were shot in superfine mode, or fine, or whatever. All you can really do is compare the shots in general and compare things like CA, contrast, brightness, color. The Casio seems to produce "darker" shots for the most part and I would be willing to bet that the optics are not as good as with the Canon and the Sony.

Anyone is welcome to visit and contribute to my similar question, Previous page I think, asking for Best 3 or 4mp camera for the money, would welcome any new contributions. -- Don
mrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 10:17 AM   #3

Thanks for your help!!!
wander is offline   Reply With Quote