Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:17 PM   #1

I do a search there are so many neutral density filter (brand)example for 0.9 52 mm make by B+W are higher pricing (36.00) without protection coat compare to Hoya with protection coating for $ 22.00 ...Humm

And is 0.9 (3 stop) is the one I should purchase. For Nikon d40, 55-200 mm vr len

Thanks

Guppies
guppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2008, 12:28 AM   #2

How often are you going to be using this type of filter and what do you want to mostly use it for?

Sometimes, a - 3 stop ND will be plenty, sometimes it won't. I've seen quite a few shots in various publications where the photographer stacked filters to get - 7 stops -- or even more.

Unless you have a lot of money to spend, I would suggest starting out with a good quality - 3. You have said that you are going to be getting a polarizer, also. You can stack the polarizer with the ND for perhaps another 1 1/2 stops light reduction.

Start out kind of small and see whether this set-up is serving your needs. If not, then you can make a more informed decision on supplemental ND filters and what strength they should be. I've seen variable ND filters that change strength by rotating the front element, but they are hugely expensive.

Just be conservative with your purchases until you have enough experience to know what you really need.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2008, 3:18 AM   #3

Thank for the information. I don't use this filter offen. But usually when I took a trip. I usually go to Asia with my family. Since the trip is pretty costly.

There are a lot of pretty waterfall, river overthere and I think this filter will help to capture the image better. Since Iwouldn't go back there again for a while or never will. I think I am going for a 0.9 (3 stop) instead a 1.8 which is 6(stops)

granthagen wrote:
Quote:
How often are you going to be using this type of filter and what do you want to mostly use it for?

Sometimes, a - 3 stop ND will be plenty, sometimes it won't. I've seen quite a few shots in various publications where the photographer stacked filters to get - 7 stops -- or even more.

Unless you have a lot of money to spend, I would suggest starting out with a good quality - 3. You have said that you are going to be getting a polarizer, also. You can stack the polarizer with the ND for perhaps another 1 1/2 stops light reduction.

Start out kind of small and see whether this set-up is serving your needs. If not, then you can make a more informed decision on supplemental ND filters and what strength they should be. I've seen variable ND filters that change strength by rotating the front element, but they are hugely expensive.

Just be conservative with your purchases until you have enough experience to know what you really need.

Grant
Old Jun 21, 2008, 8:31 PM   #4

guppies, since you mentioned shooting waterfalls, you might be interested in this good article on photographing waterfalls!

http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/w...terfalls-1.htm

There are four pages to the article, got to be something in there that you can use!

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:23 AM   #5

Thank you Grant. That's very helpful and good to learn and read.

It will takes me a long time tolearn but at least I know a little and limited some mistake it shouldn't have to start with,

NowIhave a chance touse the DSLRto take somephotos using the camerafunction and might takes some better photo that a point and shot camera can't offer.

For sure I need to takes a lot of photos and spend a lot timesto get it right. But I will try and is a good start for me (I guess) to come here to ask.

Guppies