Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 26, 2008, 9:04 PM   #1

sometimes some photographer came in situations, where no time to change lens and/or no place for many of them.
some buys bridge cams, like Fuji S-series or Oly SP-UZ & etc.
but anway, in DSLR-world exists other solytions ?
not epecially brand-name, bright, precise-perfect& etc, but "more or less working"[in similar to described situations)lens for DSLR's ?
something at least up to 10x ?full zoom, i means - 1x to 10x.

p.s. sorry for title, "Ultrazoom" means "Ultrazoom lens".

SkyShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2008, 9:49 PM   #2
Administrator

For what camera model?

The Tamron 18-250mm f/3.5-5.6 is probably about as good as it gets right now in an Ultrazoom type lens starting out relatively wide (assuming you've got a camera using an APS-C size sensor).

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/18250_diII.asp

When used on a Nikon, Sony or Pentax dSLR model with an APS-C size sensor, this lens would give you roughly the same angle of view you'd have using a 27-375mm lens on a 35mm camera (multiply the focal length by 1.5x to see how they compare).

When used on a Canon dSLR model with an APS-C size sensor, you'd get roughly the same angle of view you'd have using a 29-400mm lens on a 35mm camera model (multiply the focal length by 1.6x to see how they'd compare).

That's because the sensors in these models are smaller than 35mm film (so your lenses will appear to be around 50 to 60% longer on them, compared to the same focal length lens on a 35mm camera model).

For a Nikon dSLR model with an APS-C size sensor, I'd also look at the Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 VR AF-S lens.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:09 PM   #3

and good news for 4/3 cams ?
thanks for advice, but i mean about something "chinese-made[like most digicam self 8-P]unkonwnsource, badly reviewed, but woerking acceptable".

p.s. Tamron - 1st Level brand, anway

p.p.s.
im not decice 4 what cam, because decisions(among other reason depend annswers on my wuestion
both entry-level DSLR perform well for my eyes - A200, D60, E420, only Pentax-Samsung K200 performs little lower average(little surprisingly for me)
and yes, initialy i planned buy D60, but Nikon, in MSk overpriced ~2.4x times, while other brand vary in ~1.3x-1.5 range

Old Jun 27, 2008, 5:06 AM   #4

SkyShoot wrote:
Quote:
and good news for 4/3 cams ?
For Four Thirds, there's the Panasonic Leica 14-150mm f/3.5-5.6 and the Olympus 18-180mm f/3.5-6.3.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:57 AM   #5

okaya, okay, i understood(after some offline research behind friend-pro-photographer), there a no "sharing same drawbacks(CA and PF) as UZ lens on P&S digicams, lens for DSLR, for tourist-emergency mode"(exceptions - second-hand lens market).
and then, i start looking at DSLR Kits and then(after i sell kidney's or rob bank & etc :-) i buy something more adequate ;P

p.s. E420 goes surprisingly well !! evenstrong AA filter and no IS cant stop in most cases. D60 performs more or less-balanced. Sony likes, because accuracy almost similar to D60, highly(and easily) manageable DR control, long battery runs, unseablility, which is close to Oly analogs.

Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:31 AM   #6

Two things to consider:
  1. What are you going to shoot? Each brand has its strengths and weaknesses. For general photogtaphy, any dSLR will work well, but beyond that, there are some advantages and disadvantages to consider.[/*]
  2. How does the camera feel to you? If you can't hold it comfortably, if you can't find the controls and commands when you need them, you'll miss some shots.[/*]
Old Jun 27, 2008, 2:11 PM   #7

ASAP, Everything !!(literally, because i carry my digicams everywhere and shoot and shoot and shoot :-)(if camera-lens performance satisfy me )

both descriebed above - D60, A200, E420 - very usable for me, and "look and feel" differences - quite not serious(i easily can handle and use both DSLR-s).
at entry-level D60 hard to beat in terms of resulted images and usability.
in good light E420 and A200 provide comparable image quality, with more or less proper DR and colours, but A200 little above in DR and speed, and E420 truely comact also & etc [uncertain] differences.

Old Jun 27, 2008, 3:43 PM   #8

The Olympus E420 is one of the smallest, lightest dSLRs available, and by virtue of its smaller image sensor, has the smallest, lightest lenses (for equivalent focal lengths). And the image quality will run rings around most P&S digicams.

The Nikon has a larger selection of OEM and third party lenses, which also happen to be less expensive.

The Sony has sensor shift image stabilization in the camera body. Image stabilization reduces (if not eliminates) motion blur due to camera shake. Nikon has optical image stabilization in its 'VR' lenses, which makes them bigger, heavier, and more expensive.

Sony's selection of new lenses is about as good as Nikon's (for lenses that will autofocus on the D60), but they can be expensive, but the selection of third party lenses is growing fast. And Sony dSLRs can use any of the used Minolta Maxxum lenses ever made, and the market for used Minolta Maxxum lenses is the largest in the industry.

I'd go with the Sony, but if size and weight are important to you, the Olympus is a good choice.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 12:25 PM   #9

im prefer D60, but due to strange pricing in my city(Moscow City, RU) Entry-level DSLR's(and p&s) of Nikon -cost signnificantly more, for example, D60 cost near D80 and etc.
both Nikon and Canon lens available here, brand new and 2nd hand market.
Others lens, with some luck Olympus exclusions - 3.2x more expensive as in Euro or USA, and narow choice of them.
weight if not issue at all :-)
and i like A200 Performance :-)
with some loss or sharpness-detail(there onlu Nikon produces more-less acceptable results).

p.s. i like 4/3 , just as ideas, what drives 4/3 creations.
moreover, i think, it's - FUTURE of digicam, both DSLR and P&S.
or at least, i hope so.

Old Jun 28, 2008, 1:18 PM   #10

SkyShoot wrote:
Quote:
p.s. i like 4/3 , just as ideas, what drives 4/3 creations.
moreover, i think, it's - FUTURE of digicam, both DSLR and P&S.
or at least, i hope so.
I don't think so. Four Thirds does have some advantages, but it does have some obstacles as well.

A physically larger sensor means less noise, and that's not likely to change. Yes, Olympus dSLRs suffer less from noise than P&S, but APS-C dSLRs suffer even less.

And while 'small' and 'light' can make a difference, the difference between Four Thirds and APS-C isn't near as much as the difference between 35mm and 6cm, the last major paradigm shift in cameras.

And people like choices. And there are more choices in APS-C dSLRs, and especially in lenses for APS-C dSLRs, and that's not likely to change any time soon.

Plus, Four Thirds image sensors are too big for P&S digicams, so they probably won't migrate downward.