Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 1, 2003, 11:48 PM   #1

Default What gamma setting do you use?

I had my gamma setting (GeForce3 advanced settings, color correction) set to 1.0 because that was approximately calibrated to the printer at my local Costco. Well this week they got a new machine and now it seems I need to adjust my settings.

I've read that 2.2 gamma is a 'standard' but it seems so dang bright, heh. I'm at 1.5 right now, going to get some prints done tomorrow, hopefully they look normal. Didn't pay for the screwed up ones of course, they always treat me right.

One reason I ask is because the gamma setting changes the look of pictures in online galleries quite a bit. A picture that looked fine to me at 1.0 gamma had ugly artifacts at 1.5 (fixed it, so no example for you). I wonder how many people use high gamma like 2.2 and think the pictures I've adjusted to 1.0 gamma look weird?
The Photo Tuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2003, 11:56 PM   #2

Get yourself a copy of the FREE Nokia monitor test:

http://freepctech.com/rode/004.shtml
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 4:32 PM   #3

Default Gamma 2.2

I am using gamma 2.2 and as far as brilliance goes the pictures looked fine. I looked at most of the pictures with a full dynamic range and the only one that looked dark was the seagull. None looked too bright.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 1:33 PM   #4

Default Re: What gamma setting do you use?

The Windows standard is 1.8. The Mac standard is 2.2...

<TED>

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Photo Tuell
I had my gamma setting (GeForce3 advanced settings, color correction) set to 1.0 because that was approximately calibrated to the printer at my local Costco. Well this week they got a new machine and now it seems I need to adjust my settings.

I've read that 2.2 gamma is a 'standard' but it seems so dang bright, heh. I'm at 1.5 right now, going to get some prints done tomorrow, hopefully they look normal. Didn't pay for the screwed up ones of course, they always treat me right.

One reason I ask is because the gamma setting changes the look of pictures in online galleries quite a bit. A picture that looked fine to me at 1.0 gamma had ugly artifacts at 1.5 (fixed it, so no example for you). I wonder how many people use high gamma like 2.2 and think the pictures I've adjusted to 1.0 gamma look weird?
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 5:25 PM   #5

Default Typo

I think that was a typo. Windows standard gamma is 2.2.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 12:01 PM   #6

Default Thanks Mike

I've been looking all over for a Gamma test -

Thanks again
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 2:52 PM   #7

Well I've moved to 1.7 gamma (compensation?) via GeForce 3 advanced properties because that's what gets the best looking gamma tests on my monitor. For example:

I can make out the difference between each of the squares.

Another reason I turned up my gamma more was on this page: http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~wes...mma/gamma.html

The 'Pitfalls' section (halfway down) has a big black square with the letter T in it. At first I couldn't see anything, then I turned up my gamma and it showed up.

A lot of my pictures look better now, too, heh. Here's an example where before I adjusted my gamma everything was dark so I did some contrast/curves adjustment to the picture. Now the non-adjusted picture looks OK and the adjusted one is too bright.

j

I also used the Nokia monitor test (thanks) and my newly adjusted 1.7 gamma is much better.

Now the tough part is to match what prints look like compared to my monitor, heh. I used to have it matching (when my gamma was at 1.0 heh) but I think they changed something.
The Photo Tuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 4:49 AM   #8

Default Re: Typo

You are right! I cited them backwards. The MAC is 1.8 and Windows is 2.2...

Thanks,
<TED>

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt
I think that was a typo. Windows standard gamma is 2.2.
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote