Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 8, 2008, 3:38 PM   #1

Hello everyone, I need help with my Samsung Digimax A7.

One day the mode button had just stopped working (turns but no difference in camera). Kind of gritty feel to it (perhaps dirt got in). I opened up the camera and had a look, being careful. I took the mode button out.

I found it looked a little strange, please find attached the images.

Any help is appreciated. I'm a little low on cash currently and have a lot of time on my hands to repair.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images

Technex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2008, 3:40 PM   #2

Pic 2.
Attached Images

Old Jul 8, 2008, 3:42 PM   #3

Pic 3. (These are under the mode dial, attached by a single screw).
Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2008, 11:59 PM   #4

From the pictures, it looks as if the contacts on the switch plate are bent way out of shape. This type of switch uses light spring pressure on the circuit board contact areas. I would attempt to straighten the bends out, and match the inner and outer sping leaves to the contact circles on the circuit board. Be sure the contact areas on the plate are very smooth, or they will damage the surfaces on the board.

Alignment could be a problem, unless the plate indexes to the switch knob, so there may be some trial and error when reassembling.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 3:15 PM   #5

The switch plate in photos 2 & 3 (I presume photos 2 &3 are of the same switch plate.) is gold plated brass, and in addition to being mangled, appears discolored. If that's true, after you've flattened it, you should clean it with a pencil eraser.

I suggest you use round-nose pliers to form the plate close to it's original shape. Don't squeeze the pliers tightly as this may deform the plate; just use the round-nose pliers to untwist the twists in the plate. It doesn't have to be perfectly flat; it just has to be flat enough to get the contacts back in their original position. And try not to bend it any more than you must, as the switch plate will get more rigid and brittle the more you twist it, and it has already received a considerable amount of twisting.

In addition, since the gold plating is intended to be the primary electrical conductor, and the bending you are about to do, on top of the bending that has already occurred, is likely to create cracks in the plating, the electrical resistance of the switch is likely to be greater than it was before. That might interfere with the way it will work, and may actually create a fire hazard. After having completed these repairs, I would be reluctant to leave batteries in the camera for very long.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:10 AM   #6

Thank you both for your responses!

Indeed 2 and 3 are both the same just different views.

So it is bent! I wasn't sure, I thought perhaps it was designed like this.

I won't leave my batteries in it, good point.

I was close to buying a new camera, thank you very much for your help.

I shall try to straighten them today when I have the spare time, I'll check back for any replies before I do so. (Just in case someone says it's meant to be twisted).
Old Jul 19, 2008, 2:11 PM   #7

Well, my original thought remains. They're meant to be bent like that. Unbent them all, fixed the click system on the wheel, worked perfectly. Put it back together and it won't turn on even with new batteries, not even a flicker.

Went to bend them back a different way and the bloody case opened to fast and ripped off the control ribbon cable.

New question, how do you delete all the onboard memory without actually powering on the camera? Might try to sell it on ebay as a broken needs repair camera. Some funds towards my next one...

Thanks guys.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:44 PM   #8

You can try to sell it on ebay but you wont get a whole lot for it. I purchased a broken one for 10 bucks to fix mine but it had the same problem. NowI have 2 with LCD's that need replacing. You could try to buy a broken one to fix yours. It seems to me you like to tinker with stuff too. If you give up on it let me know.
bowhunter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 5:04 PM   #9

Hey thanks, anything that'll help towards my next camera. I've always wanted a SLR but can't justify spending that much money on one. I would love too though... Please guys don't sway me over :lol:

I just want to delete the memory in case any family pictures are on it or personal details. The built in memory not the SD card. I'm not sure how to do it without applying power... (I can take it apart again).

I've given up on it, the electronics are far to small for me. I'm used to small electronics (RC hobbies) but this is just a whole level up.

Thanks once again everyone.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 5:44 PM   #10

Anyone? Thanks.