Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 3, 2003, 1:04 AM   #1

Default Megapixels

I recently bought a 5 megapixel Nikon Coolpix 5400.

After using the camera for a while, it became clear to me that the practical choices for picture size are 1, 2, or 5 megapixels. The camera settings do not give the user an option to shoot at 3 or 4 megapixels. The 5 meg setting produces such huge files that a 32mb CF card can only hold 25 pictures.

Is it common for other camera brands/models to have such a huge gap between the highest file size (5meg) and the next highest (2 meg)?
wpla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2003, 1:53 AM   #2

Default Yes

Most cameras ususally ship with a low-capacity cards & it is pretty good for taking about one full-sized image (or 4-6 small ones).

You need larger memory cards to really make good use of your camera! I use an IBM Microdrive 1 gigabyte card & 2 512mb cards for backup. Memory cards are not too expensive (for what you get) if you shop around. B&H and Adorama have 1Gig Microdrives for $199-US right now.

BTW, don't get a bunch of small cards either...instead of working on the best shot, you'll be worring if you have enough memory for it...
Old Oct 3, 2003, 8:24 AM   #3

Yes it is common for their be a large gap between picture settings on all cameras. The suggestion to buy larger storage cards is the way to go. a 256mb CF card will start about $50. Here is a link to newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...hdepa=1&page=3

512 mb cards are selling for around $100. My recommendation is to buy big.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 12:00 PM   #4

With a 5 megapixel camera it might be wise to spend a bit more on a faster card. http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007 CF cards compared
50$ for a 256 Mb CF card??? Geez, it costed me somewere around 250 euro, but atleast I got the fastest and did not have to travel all the way to VS to get it ;-)
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 12:28 PM   #5

Here is the link to the lexmar 12x 256mb flash at newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...fer=P12ice5can

Price is $59 plus free shipping
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 1:06 PM   #6

Having used constantly a 512mb xD card in my c750uz I couldn't imagine purchasing a smaller card than it in the future. If I had your camera and seeing that it would produce most likely even larger file sizes/picture I would look to at least a 256mb card and most likely a 512mb one.
Quote:
My recommendation is to buy big.
I totally second gibsonpd3620's suggestion there! There is nothing more annoying when your out taking pictures and having to choose between moments to shoot because your almost out of room on your memory card....other than when the low battery warning light comes one. :lol:
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote