Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 3, 2003, 7:24 AM   #1

Default Getting picture info?

I have a Kodak DC4800. When reviewing pics in the camera, there is an "info" option that shows things like the shutter speed used, the aperture, etc. (don't remember what all it shows) Is there an editing app, or some other tool, available that can get this info from the saved .JPG files? The few I've tried don't seem to show this info.

Thanks,
Jack
JackMangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2003, 8:14 AM   #2

that info is called EXIF data. and image browser like acdsee or others can display this info.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 9:05 AM   #3
Administrator

There are lots of free software packages that will allow you to view EXIF information.

Here are a few:

Exifer:

http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/

Exif Image Viewer:

http://home.pacbell.net/michal_k/

Irfanview:
I use irfanview for viewing EXIF info (it's also a full featured image editing package. I use it mostly because I like it's redeye reduction features, and sophisticated Lanczos based interpolation algorithms for resizing photos:

http://www.irfanview.com
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 3:14 PM   #4

Thanks, all! I'd seen other positive comments about Irfanview, so I installed that along with most of the plug-ins, including EXIF.DLL. This is confirmed by Help / Installed Plugins. However, I don't get an EXIF Info button on the Information screen. Other than the .JPG file not having this info (even tho it's from my Kodak camera), anyone know why I don't get the button?

Maybe I'll try one of the other apps this weekend.

Jack
Old Oct 3, 2003, 3:39 PM   #5
Administrator

I just downloaded a photo from pbase.com taken with a Kodak DC4800, and irfanview sees the EXIF info fine.

Did you edit the photos you checked? If so, then your image editor may have been overwriting the EXIF information (a common problem with some editors -- and some let you choose whether or not to overwrite image headers).

If a photo doesn't have EXIF info available, then the button does not appear.

To make sure your irfanview is working properly download a photo from pbase.com containing EXIF info. Their camera database is here:

http://www.pbase.com/cameras
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 9:37 AM   #6

I know nothing about the Kodak DC4800, but I wanted to add something.

I second best software software I found was exifer. Its interface is a little confusing but not so much you can't learn it. It allow you copy the data form one picture to another. Since PhotoShop Elements removes the exif data, this lets you put it back. I do it often with pictures that I post. I rename the picture, but this lets me find the origional.

But the best software is probably the one that comes with your camera. Not because it has the best inerface or any of that. It's because it actually displays all the information. In my case (I have a Canon 10D) I was unable to find 3rd party software that displayed flash compensation. But the canon software did. Maybe exifer and others can display everything for your camera. In my case, I found they didn't.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 11:26 AM   #7

Thanks, all. I know what's going on now. I tried a couple of the pics from pbase.com as suggested by JimC, but Irfanview did not show EXIF info for those, either. Back to the source; I took a new photo with the Kodak, opened the file in Irfanview right from the Compact Flash card, and the EXIF info button was available! It showed all the info. Then I opened the file in Paint Shop Pro, my favorite editor, and simply resized the image and resaved the file. When opened again in Irfanview, the EXIF info was gone. Then I decided to simply save the file to a new file name in Paint Shop Pro, without making any edits at all. Again the EXIF info was gone, so anytime that PSP saves an image file, it strips out the EXIF info, as suggested by JimC.

Thanks for the assistance, all.
Jack
Old Oct 4, 2003, 3:31 PM   #8

Paint Shop Pro v7 and earlier do not recognize the EXIF meta data nor will it be preserved. PSP 8 is the first version that preserves the EXIF data.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2003, 12:34 PM   #9

PhotoShop also does that. Since I make backup copies of all my pictures, I use exifer to copy the EXIF data from the origional into the edited copy.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote