Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 3, 2003, 2:55 PM   #11
Administrator

Underbelly Photo Added -- warning Gross (chopped off).

http://www.pbase.com/image/21928957
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 4:44 PM   #12
djb

why did you kill them??? they are beneficial to keeping bugs and rodents and other pests under control. they also are not babies.
too bad you missed out on some wonderful opportunities for some excellent photos. about the only poisonous snakes in georgia are watermoccasins, copperheads, and ratlesnakes. neither of these snakes are them. i wished i had found them in my yard. oh well.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 6:20 PM   #13
Administrator

WHY?

My wife came screaming, my neighbor came running. We were afraid of being bitten. They were not in my yard, they were inside of my garage, which is part of my home.

I'm still worried about being bitten by a poisonous snake, if any more are in our garage (because it is part of our home, and they may find their way into the rest of the home). We are in there often. Our freezer, storage, everything is there -- it's considered part of our living area by us. We're in it every day, many times per day. They could also find their way through ducts, holes, etc. into the rest of our living space.

My neighbor thought that the triangle shaped head meant they were poisonous (clearly stating" that's poisonous, I can tell by the shape of the head and the body").

I don't know, but want to know.

I'm trying to figure out what they are. That's my reason for posting here. To find out if I should be afraid of being bitten or not (if more are here).

We go in and through the garage every day. It's part of the home. The snakes were within 2 feet of where I would step out of the car, THEY WERE INSIDE of the garage, not in the yard. Here's a photo of our home, so you can get a better idea of why we're worried (still):

http://www.pbase.com/image/5296795
Old Oct 3, 2003, 8:00 PM   #14
djb

Jim, i understand. it's that i like snakes and of the literally hundreds i've caught i've, never killed one, even after being bit a few times (nonpoisonous). nice house, and i can see why you and your family/friends did what you did. i can't tell by the pictures but the larger snake looks like it might be a type of king snake or a pine snake (not sure if pine snakes inhabit georgia). the other one i can't tell at all.

dennis
Old Oct 3, 2003, 8:20 PM   #15
Administrator

The strange part, is that they look totally different (outside color on top), but the underside of both looks the same (white), yet they were together, inside of my garage.

If I upset anyone, my apologies. We were scared out of our wits at the time.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 8:37 PM   #16
djb

Jim, no appologies necessary. the bellies of many different snakes are white or a much lighter color than the top. they do appear to be two entirely different types but, that is hard to tell.

dennis
Old Oct 3, 2003, 9:09 PM   #17

Default Whoa!!!!!!!

Jim, your more of man than I am!!! I don't think I would have had the presence of mind to even think of getting my camera to sanp some pics! Whew!!!! I'd be too busy putting a "For Sale" sign on the house!! LOL!! By the way, those pics are alot clearer than what I would hav taken. Anyway, I tried to recall my Boy Scout training and yes, like everyone else said, the diamond shape head usually means a poisonous snake. The brown one doesn't look to be poisonous. The black one probably isn't either. I would definetly call your local animal control and have them come out right away. No reason to take any chances.
Now......you want a good laugh?? Here's my story about my garage: Yesterday, I come home from work and my son is out riding his bicycle. Of course he leaves the garage door open. No problem. I go in say hi to the wife, and go back outside. I go in to the garage and what do i see but a squirrell sitting on my Harley, eating an acorn and looking at me as if to say, "What are doing here!" Well, when I grabbed the broom, "Rocky the Flying Squirrell" knew exactly what i was doing there. Only instead of chasing him OUT of the garage, Mr. Squirrell decides to go further in the garage behind some stuff on a shelf!!! He finally poked his head out and I swatted him. He promtly jumps off the shelf, on to my shoulder and out the door!!! I probably screamed like a 6 year old girl, but it did scare the heck out of me!!
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 9:46 PM   #18
Administrator

That's the nice thing about my Konica -- I keep it in my pocket.

Actually, my next door neighbor beat me to the garage -- hearing my wife scream. I was upstairs, and he was in the front yard.

He had already found a shovel, and had it in his hands.

I told him to hold on a second, so I could take some photos first. I was probably shaking a bit while I took them, too (I am scared to death of snakes), so my state of mind didn't go together well with my photography skills.

As soon as I snapped off 3 shots, we went at it with shovels. They were very tough, too - definitely not the docile types (especially the larger one). It was striking back, even after a blow to the head, as hard as I could swing the shovel down on it.

I was scared to death. Sorry -- maybe I had nothing to be afraid of, but I didn't want to chance it.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 11:07 PM   #19

I'm scared to death of snakes too. Ironic thing is though, if the Croc Hunter or Jeff Corwin happen to be on TV doing their thing about snakes, I can't stop watching.
Thank goodness your neighbor was around when you needed him!! I think I'd rather deal with the squirrels in my garage than a snake!!

Best of luck JIm, I'm rooting for ya!!!!!!
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 3:47 AM   #20

Folks, I'm really not being judgemental here, but I'd like to urge everyone not to kill snakes unless absolutely threatened by a viper (posinous snake). If these were nonpoisnous snakes (probably), they pose no harm or threat. In fact killing them now opens their territory up for a posinouse snake to move in. Snakes don't like being around you any more than you like being around them. Just leave the garage door open and they'll go away. I live in Colorado and I've had a bear in my garage. When I asked him to leave, he complied immediately!
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote