Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 4, 2003, 8:30 AM   #21

I dont know what type they are but did you squish the one with the flat tail? (if not its a watersnake)

**Edit ** Did a quick search on Georgia snakes and they seem to have a lot of live-bearing water snakes, only a couple of vipers and those are not them.

Other thing, differnet snake breds don't usually hang out with one another so might be Male and Female (due to the different colours)

Sucks you had to kill em, I would of just scooted them out the door with the shovel, if not picked them up, played with them a bit then released them. Trying to smack then over the head with a shovel might provoke them a wee bit I know I'd be pissed off if someone did that to me!
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 10:19 AM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fporch
Just leave the garage door open and they'll go away.
Look, we were scared to death, and the neighbor thought that they were poisonous (due to the shape of the body and head of the larger one). From looking at photos on reptile sites, the rapid narrowing of the tail from fat to thin, also resembles a cottonmouth.

Now that I'm reading more about them, it appears that there can be many variations of each species. I took the best action I could think of at the time, with the goal of protecting my family.

Maybe they were harmless, but I did not want to risk it.

BTW, the Garage Door was open, and the snakes had a clear path to exit (we were in the Garage, with them towards the exit with the shovels). Instead, they stood their ground, rather agressively at that.

Some of the posters on dpreview.com even think the larger one may have been a cottonmouth. Heck, I'm no snake expert, and at the time, the best option that I could see was to kill them. If they were poisonous, I didn't want to risk them biting someone -- even if we could have gotten them out of the garage.

Here's another forum thread discussing the problem:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6266630
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 10:37 AM   #23

Those are common garden-variety snakes, completely harmless. If you have a local Cooperative Extension Service, take the bodies to them for positvie ID.

You can get a product at Home Depot, called "Snake Away", that is a very good snake deterrant. Simply sprinkle around the perimeter of your home and yard, and in your case, inside the garage. It will chase away any existing snakes, and discourage any others from entering your yard.

Jack
JackMangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 10:43 AM   #24

I wanted to add that even non-poisonous snakes will bite. I should know, I was bitten by a garder snake when I was a kid. Slithered right up my right sleve and bit me. I was holding it and look at it, so I don't blame it. I assume it was quite scared.

It got it's way. I droped it and off it went.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 10:53 AM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMangold
Those are common garden-variety snakes, completely harmless. If you have a local Cooperative Extension Service, take the bodies to them for positvie ID.

You can get a product at Home Depot, called "Snake Away", that is a very good snake deterrant. Simply sprinkle around the perimeter of your home and yard, and in your case, inside the garage. It will chase away any existing snakes, and discourage any others from entering your yard.

Jack
I intend to do both (get the Snake Away at Home Depot), as well as trying to get a positive ID on the snakes).

Only one problem -- I've seen the Snake Away product before at home depot, and it apparently does not work on water snakes, based on the description on the box (if that is what they are).

We had a problem about 5 or 6 years ago, in a wooded area between our home and a neighbors home. We had a landscape company working on the area, and they found what they said were copperheads in the area, going down into a hole. They poured gasoline into the hole. We checked into snake away then (years ago), and it said that it did not work on Copperheads, Cotttonmouths or Water Snakes.
Old Oct 4, 2003, 2:07 PM   #26

When we moved into our house we had a large (nearly 6’) indigo snake living on the property. He occasionally got into the garage and even once into the house, but I was impressed that my house full of females coexisted fine with him for at least a year. If the grass was high you could see his head pop up to look around every ten feet or so as he traversed the lawn. My neighbors on either side tolerated him fine, but he made the mistake of going into the neighbor’s yard two houses over and ended up being mangled by a shovel. I missed the snake but never held it against my neighbor – if you are afraid of snakes you shouldn’t have to live with them.

The northern Florida snakes should be the same as Georgia. Maybe you could work your way through this: http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herp...nakekey.htm#11 The snakes are obviously the same species with the small one being a juvenile. It is very close to the color shift between adult and juvenile of the garter snake but the belly is wrong.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 3:59 PM   #27
Administrator

I recovered the baby from the yard. The larger one was nowhere to be found (I thought my neighbor had dumped them in the same spot, but I am unable to find the larger one).

The small one is now in a freezer bag, in my freezer. I will try to find someplace to positively identify it on Monday.

I can tell you this -- the eyes are NOT visible from the top of the head, looking down on it, and there is a hexagon shape -- dead center in the top of the head -- looking almost exactly like the photo of a cottonmouth head at this link.

There is only one difference -- the more protuding point of the hexagon is going towards the rear, versus towards the front.

The rest of the pattern looks the same:

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herp...piscivorus.htm
Old Oct 5, 2003, 1:39 PM   #28

Once I opened the link, I knew the snake you were talking about.

If its a Cottonmouth, be careful. Of course, you probably know that by now! Their bite is one of the few out there which is really bad for humans (I'm making that statement in relation to the number of types of snakes there actually are. In proportion, the % which are dangerious to humans is small)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2003, 2:07 PM   #29
Administrator

We figured out what they were -- non poisonous -- thanks to some of the forum posters at dpreview.com.

Joseph Edward Forks made the first correct ID, and I was able to confirm that the pattern on the top of the head for the Storeria species, matches the pattern on the smaller snake (I recovered it from the yard to compare the pattern), thanks to photos from some of the other posters.

That's why I saw a difference in the center portion of the head (with the point going more towards the snakes body).

They appear to be variations of the genus Storeria dekayi

See this thread at dpreview.com:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6266630

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find the larger snake (my neighbor threw it in the yard) -- just to make sure (since it was larger, darker in color, and had a tail that went from very fat, to very narrow -- rapidly -- just like a Cottonmouth's tail would look).

But, it's extremely unlikely that two snakes of two different species would be in the same spot together in my Garage. So, I'm much more at ease about them now.

Hopefully, I can convince my wife not to worry, too.
Old Oct 5, 2003, 11:54 PM   #30

Out of all the images of Cottonmouths I've seen (mainly Moccasins) none of them to me looked like the one you killed.

Oh well, hope you get to ID it, would love to find it true identity!
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote