Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 3, 2003, 2:09 PM   #1
Administrator

Default Help! Snakes in Garage - -Please Help Identify

About a week ago, a neighbor reported seeing a large snake crawling under the concrete walkway beside my side Garage Door.

About 20 minutes ago, my wife screamed and came running. There were two smaller snakes inside of my Garage (behind a tool box). I ran and took these photos, then killed them with a shovel.

Can anyone help me to identify what kind they are. The one the neighbor reported was apparently much larger, so I think there are probably more (perhaps inside the Garage -- hopefully not in the house).

I just uploaded the photos to a new album here (you can see the original size prints there) -- I took three photos:

http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/snakes

Any help/suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Edit/Update: underside (belly) of both snakes was white (I just turned them over to look). Size of largest one was about 18 inches long. I can't seem to find a matching photo on any of the snake web sites yet. I'm in Marietta, GA if this helps. Looked on this site, but I don't see a match:

http://www.gwf.org/commonreptiles.htm
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2003, 2:41 PM   #2

Default Non-poisonous

I visited some website for snakes in Georgia and most focus on the few poisonous snakes. Neither of these are one of those. Another site offered an interesting comment. Snakes don't like human habitations as homes but they eat rodents and if your home has a rodent problem, lots of mice, then you will attract snakes.

You might print the pictures and stop by your local Game and Fish department for an I.D.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 3:05 PM   #3

Default The black one is a rat snake

& they are not poisoneous. I actually picked on up that was sunning on a crane & it never even tried to bite me. Remind me not to get near your garage...
Old Oct 3, 2003, 3:07 PM   #4

I have to admit, maybe image stabilization would have helped in this situation......poisinous snakes have diamond shaped heads, I can't really tell from these pics. Try to get closer next time - HA! I believe in Georgia you're going to only find copperheads or water mocassins, maybe a rattler in the mountains?????
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 3:30 PM   #5
Administrator

I'll admit that I was a little nervous trying to take the photos -- not my usual steady hands.

I was a little closer than I wanted to be taking the photos, too (within a few feet, with them still alive on the garage floor).

They were hard to kill too -- snapping at the shovel after the first hit.

They're still in my front yard -- dumped 'em there after killing them (but their heads are pretty "smashed" with the shovel).

I'm worried that we have more in the Garage.

My wife left the Garage Door open last night, and I suspect that decided that my Garage was warmer than outside.

I sure hope that they're aren't more of them in there. I'm going to be very careful for sure.

We're also worried that they may get inside of the house (Garage is Attached -- with door going into home downstairs)
Old Oct 3, 2003, 3:34 PM   #6

Default Snakes!

AwwwWWW! How cute! If the large one was 2 feet long or less, they were probably Garter Snakes. They make nice pets -- I had one that would always slither up to my sister's friend (I couldn't stand her!) and would poop on her schoolbag.

Perfectly harmless if they're garter snakes.
crowmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 3:37 PM   #7
Administrator

The "If" part is what I'm worried about.

My neighbor was helping me to kill 'em. He said that he thought they were poisonous (because of the shape of their heads and bodies). But, I don't think he really knows anything more than I do about snakes.

The neighbor across the street also came over and looked at 'em (after being smashed and killed).. He didn't know what they are either.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 3:39 PM   #8
Administrator

P.S. According to my next door neighbor -- these are the babies. He said the one they saw a week ago (right next to my garage, going under a concrete slab) was much larger.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 3:40 PM   #9

Default It's hard

To recognize then with their faces smashed in......
Old Oct 3, 2003, 3:50 PM   #10
Administrator

Default Re: It's hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalypso
To recognize then with their faces smashed in......
Oh well -- the underside of both are white -- I don't know if that helps. I did take a couple of photos of them in the yard (after being smashed up pretty good).

My primary concern was killing them, but I did take the time to take some photos first. I guess I should have focused on the heads (or used a smaller aperture).