Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 17, 2008, 7:17 AM   #11

I think I now know what I am doing, thanks mostly to your advice here.

Iv written down a few of your suggestions to take along to Farnborough, just aslittle reminders in case I get stuck.

Ill buy an extra memory card this weekend, as I don't think my 512mb one is going to be enough, especially as ill be using the burst mode for the first time!

Ill write a full report on how I get on and submit a few pics sometime next week.

Thanks once again!!
5hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:30 AM   #12

How annoying, the camera wont allow Multi point AF & Continuous focus together.

Shame on Sony for not spotting that glitch!!

Continuous AF gives you only the option for Centre point.

Shame because everything iv read so far on the net regarding air show photography, says that multi point AF is a must!!!!

So, maybe I should ditch Continuous AF.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 1:23 PM   #13

5hane wrote:
Quote:
The most frustrating thing I found when I went to Farnborough last time was trying to take photos of aircraft flying.

For example; I had an Apache helicopter ahead of me doing its thing, but whenever I pointed my camera at it and tried to focus on it, the helicopter would go blurry and vanish, then all I would see is blue sky.

This just kept happening. I just couldn't focus on an aircraft before it just vanishes into blue sky.
It seems to me that the problem you had last time was the slow autofocus. (Keep in mind that autofocus and autoexposure are two seperate systems operating simultaneously.) For capturing aircraft in flight, if you switch to manual focus and focus at infinity, even at the widest aperture available on your lens, anything beyond 1000 ft will be within the depth of field and so will be in focus. That will eliminate the problem with slow autofocus altogether. To be sure, when you want to capture aircraft and other exhibits on the ground, you should switch back to autofocus because those subjects will most certainly be within 1000 ft.

See mykeepers from the JSOH Air Showif you've got a fast internet connection, or So, anything happen over in your neighborhood today? if you don't. All were taken with Manual Focus and with the lens focused at infinity. (Yes, I know, the shutter speeds were too fast for the prop aircraft.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 2:00 PM   #14

5hane wrote:
Quote:
How annoying, the camera wont allow Multi point AF & Continuous focus together.

Shame on Sony for not spotting that glitch!!

Continuous AF gives you only the option for Centre point.

Shame because everything iv read so far on the net regarding air show photography, says that multi point AF is a must!!!!
Multipoint is good because, as the aircraft travel across your field of view, you might have trouble keeping the center focusing point on the aircraft. With multipoint autofocus, at least one point will be on the subject.

Continuous autofocus is good because you might want to take multiple sequential shots, and continouos autofocus will keep the subject in focus even after you've taken the shot, so the camera will be close to being in focus for your next shot.

If you want to use autofocus, but have to give up one of those two, I'd give up the multipoint, and work on keeping the center focus point on the subject.

Perhaps you can try out a variety of methods by going to the end of a runway somewhere close, and try all the methods. If there aren't any airports close by, a motorway might work just as well if you can get a lot of sky in the background.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:49 AM   #15

So, how did you do?

And did you get to the Klimov exhibit?
Old Jul 22, 2008, 4:36 AM   #16

Thanks for your input TCav
I also took onboard your advice.

I did indeed switch off multi-point over C-AF.
More often than not, multipoint kept focusing on the wrong objects!

Iv been to many Farnborough shows, but this for me was the best yet.
For one thing, we managed to get right at the front of the crowd for thedisplay.
Not only were we at the front (about 40metres from the runway), but also at the furthest point we could get to the end of the runway to get nice take off-shots.

When the A380 took off, we were blown backwards by a sudden warm gust of wind.

The weather could have been better: Mostly cloudy, with the occasional patch of blue sky.

Unfortunately the girls probably only performed at the Klimov exhibit during the trade days, rather than the public days, which is a shame

Illuploadsome of the shotssome time this week.

Old Jul 23, 2008, 6:27 AM   #17

Old Jul 23, 2008, 6:31 AM   #18

Old Jul 23, 2008, 6:35 AM   #19

Old Jul 23, 2008, 6:39 AM   #20