Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 16, 2008, 9:48 PM   #1

Is there any camera out there, where you can capture in infra red (or ultraviolet) and (obviously) make it visible in the visible spectrum.

I know you can modify some older cameras by removing a filter, but I was wonder if there was one that could do this.

Additionally, besides those really expensive add on lenses, are there any cameras that can take super macro pictures like 200X etc.

I just thought this would be fun to mess around with... which is why cost is an issue.
anyaonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:14 PM   #2

There are filters you can buy to take infrared shots with any digital camera -- though the exposure time could run into the seconds.

Here's a page that gives a lot of information about IR photography:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/

I don't know about the super macro cameras. (Sounds like a video game!)

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 6:35 AM   #3

I looked at that infrared page and I guess I was looking for more.

I have seen IR photgraphy where the camera detected heat loss from windows etc. I guess I'm not seeing how this is so much different than visible light photography in the example you sent. I'm looking for something that shows a visible difference from what we normally see.

On the macro, what I'm looking for is in the near microscopic range. I saw a Canon outfitted with a special lense a while back that took amazing photos but the lenses were quite expensive. Of course I can't now find that link.

And to answer the obvious question...why. Just to mess around with it.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 9:01 PM   #4

anyaonly wrote:
Quote:
I have seen IR photgraphy where the camera detected heat loss from windows etc. I guess I'm not seeing how this is so much different than visible light photography in the example you sent. I'm looking for something that shows a visible difference from what we normally see.
There is quite a difference between thermal imaging cameras that allow heat loss pictures, and what you can do with a near infrared filter on a digital camera. A couple thousand dollars, anyway. Thermal imaging cameras will allow you to determine actual temperature, as well as relative.

200x magnification is well into the photomicrography range. Try using that as a search term to find out more. Latest B&H photo catalog has some interesting setups for that, and not too expensive. As to finding a camera lens for this, you might try auction listings.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 9:55 PM   #5

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
There is quite a difference between thermal imaging cameras that allow heat loss pictures, and what you can do with a near infrared filter on a digital camera. A couple thousand dollars, anyway. Thermal imaging cameras will allow you to determine actual temperature, as well as relative.
Quote:
Thermal cameras are generally used in the fire service. They cost about$10,000 for one with a capture device inbedded in them (20 pictures on one of the models that I saw last summer at a fire rescue convention). Fuji makes a camera forIR capture that is popular with larger police departments for getting evidence although the model number excapesme at this time.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 6:05 AM   #6

Thank you, though 10K is a bit steep (as in completely out of my reach) I will look into it. With the internet your seach results are only as good as your keywords and you have both given me a lot to use.

I will let you know how I fare, however I'm headed on vacation for the next week, so that will have to wait until I get back.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 8:12 AM   #7

anyaonly wrote:
Quote:
...I have seen IR photgraphy where the camera detected heat loss from windows etc. I guess I'm not seeing how this is so much different than visible light photography in the example you sent....
One major difference is that the temperature differences you will see from a house's heat loss are of the same order as the temperature differences that will occur within your camera due to part of it being heated by your hand(s). That means there is much more to a thermal imaging camera than simply removing the IR filter from the front of the sensor in a digicam. In particular, it means the sensor must be cooled and thermally isolated from the rest of the camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote