Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 4, 2003, 10:08 AM   #1

Default Help

Would anyone know of a low cost microscope that a young boy could use with a Nikon 775 and adapter for his nature studies?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2003, 10:26 AM   #2

Default Digital Microscope

This might work.

http://support.intel.com/support/int...pquestions.htm
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 12:02 PM   #3

The Intel Q3 is a camera in it self, nice thing is it images can be direct available at computer.
With any camera it is possible to capture images with even plastic toy microscope (and get higher resolution images). One part of the story is: it helps if the digital camera has a narrow diameter lens. Other part is a tripod and use timer release or if possible remote shutter cable on camera. Here is what I did once with a plastic toy microscope and Canon Ixus (first in model serie, no manual options). Ok, it will not win a science prize, but it shows the potential of such set-up.

Bread fungus, exposure time 0.700, f2.8
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 1:24 PM   #4

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info and example....I do not think I will go for the computer set up? The sample shot by simply holding or using a small tripod looks good to me. The microscope sites all list camera adapters that are very costly.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 2:23 PM   #5

It was no trouble (image was also used in 1 dollar macro post in tips and tricks forum). Camera was placed as close as possible to microscope eyepiece. Only thing that can be a bummer is a flimsy plastic microscope tends to shift easily out of focus and adjusting such requires the patient of also readjusting camera position. If money is about to be spend, spend it on a sturdy microscope.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote