Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 5, 2003, 8:37 PM   #11
Administrator

I have it installed on my PC, but I've never needed to use it (knock on wood).

So far, I've only tested it (and it seems to work great).

It came highly recommended. I'm glad it worked for you (and I'm sure your brother is, too).

P.S. -- I'm sure most of them probably work the same way. I can remember Norton Utilities from many years ago being able to undelete files. Newer versions of it would probably work, too.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2003, 10:25 PM   #12

Actually, from my way of seeing things [or not, :-) ], I *really* like the way this program works. Coming as a 'zip' file was a good start. It didn't complain about anything, and installed just fine.

In use, it gave me a choice of where to save the files it found, and then it gave me a progress report as it worked its way through the card, telling me as it was finding files to recover. It gave them all a new file name, with sequential numbers as it recovered the files.

Something else I liked, is it didn't just bring back "deleted" files - it said it would bring back any and every file it could. I don't know if it actually "repairs" damaged files, but it seems much more powerful than just a program to bring back a deleted file.

I like it - and yes, my brother was thrilled!
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2003, 10:46 PM   #13

It's great that you're thanking the people here, but don't forget to thank the author(s) of this program(s). If it's a shareware program, consider registering it because without their efforts, we'd be lost.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2003, 11:44 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
It's great that you're thanking the people here, but don't forget to thank the author(s) of this program(s). If it's a shareware program, consider registering it because without their efforts, we'd be lost.
It's not even shareware, it's freeware. Alexander Grau (the program's author) doesn't have a link to accept donations.

He does run a commercial site in Germany (where he sells cameras, and photography related equipment, accessories, etc.):

http://www.foto-erhardt.de/

He also runs a online album sharing/photo printing service (commercial) at this link (translated by Google):

http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl...8%26oe%3DUTF-8

A thank you note would probably be in order for anybody that uses it though.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 3:46 AM   #15

Absolutely brilliant ! That German software just worked a treat for me. Downloaded it in a couple of minutes and was recovering images a few seconds later.

I was able to recover a whole stack of deleted images from my CF card that I had downloaded and then somehow accidentally deleted from my PC including my back-up copies (see other thread where I'm still trying to work out how this could have happened !).

I'm lucky in that I have a 1 Gb card so they hadn't been overwritten yet. It also seems that files are overwritten in date order with the oldest ones being overwritten first as it was the latest images that were recovered. Note when they are recovered you can find them in the same folder that the program gets downloaded to.

Thanks for the tip !

Adrian
adrianweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 8:32 AM   #16

It's true that this is the default setting "
Quote:
when they are recovered you can find them in the same folder that the program gets downloaded to"
, but you can select any folder you want for the folder in which the reovered images will be placed.
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote