Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 17, 2008, 2:30 PM   #1

Have a Kodak DX6490 camera and can't get moving pics. Like I want like going to the drag races and trying to get pics. Of the cars racing or doing there burn outs and then when it gets dark I may as well just turn it off and put it away for then it's a waste of time I'm thanking there should be a way to do it and not have to use a tripod or the flash and I with them moving I know I have to use a fast shutter speed but I thank I have tried every thing and can't seam to get nothing to work I have an (OLD) OM10 and years ago could get it to work real good using 400 speed film and then go to a fast shutter set the aperture and no flash and take pics. Day or night it worked great this thing I try to set it the same way forget it it won't work lol any ideals?
ronss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2008, 8:23 PM   #2

Can you upload a couple of samples of unsatifactory pics with their EXIF data intact? Without seeing the pics it could be a number things. Most P&S cameras are not particularly suited for night sports events but your DX6490 should be adequate for daytime use if you use good panning techniques.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 8:49 PM   #3

it won't let me down load any keeps telling me there to big
Old Jul 18, 2008, 1:07 PM   #4

ronss wrote:
Quote:
it won't let me down load any keeps telling me there to big
Actually you're uploading but what you need to do is to resize/resample the photo to 640x480. I use IrfanView to do this but other editing software will do this as well.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 2:01 PM   #5

okI got some resized is there away to down load more then just 1 on here I have 4I can put on if I find out to down load more then just 1 andthey are the only ones I have left that Ihaven't delete that I don't like how they look I have tried to make them look a little better so they don't lookas they did when first down loaded them on my laptop but they still look bad but here is 1 of them
Attached Images

Old Jul 18, 2008, 2:12 PM   #6

Just do another post in this thread to upload another photo. Can you read the EXIF data to find out what ISO, shutter speed and aperture were used? The EXIF data was not included in the photo you posted.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 2:41 PM   #7

I was using ISO of 400 and maybe 1/500 on the shutter but not sure what Ihad on the aperture but the pic. was very dark till I down load it on my laptop and lighted it up but still has blur to it at that fast of a shutter speed what I can't get on me old OM10 that used film setting like that it worked here is another pic. and this 1 to is lighted up alot by my laptop again was very darkand to isstill is blur
Attached Images

Old Jul 18, 2008, 4:22 PM   #8

Your editing is wiping the EXIF data. If you still have the originals try to read the EXIF data. There really seem to be multiple issues with the pictures.

First you may have had an auto-focus failure because of low light. I'd try either setting landscape focus or manual focus and pre-focusing where the action is most likely to occur.

Second, I seriously doubt that the second photo was at 1/500 as there is to much motion blur in the two figures beside the car.I would expect 1/250 would show less blur than is shown.

Third. on that same photo it is important to know if you were using any flavor of auto-exposure. Taking shots into the headlights would have thrown the auto-exposure off causing underexposure.

Fourth, you're flash may have been firing because you have two distinct images of the spoiler in the first picture and a specular highlight about where I'd expect it to be if the flash had fired.

Because of the multiple issues the original EXIF data is very important for an accurate analysis.

A. C.

Old Jul 18, 2008, 5:27 PM   #9

on the 2st. pic. I was able to get the data on it it was f3.2 1/10 -0.7 no flash but like said I have work on allthese pics. to try to make them look better so this onehas been lighted upbut I do have more usingdiffrent setting andwith trying to use the flashbut the 1st one I don't have any data on it any more if I have lighted or darken then I still can get the data from but if I have resize or crop the data ithas been lost I wish I had knowed about this forum before I had deleted most of them that may have help to see whats going on
Old Jul 19, 2008, 9:40 PM   #10

I didn't think the shutter speed was 1/500. Take another look the EXIF, I don't think the ISO was 400 either. Can you copy and paste EXIF data into a post? That's a very important element. If you were actually set at ISO 400 then basically get a better lit drag strip.Even the max ISO (800 with reduced MP) on your camera would be equally underexposed at f/3.2 and 1/20 sec. which is still way too slow a shutter speed. On the other hand if the actual ISO in these shots was 100 (Auto default) then you might be able to use 1/80th sec and combined with good panning technique get at least a few usable shots.

If these were the brightened pics there is still more detail that can be brought out with a gamma adjustment.