Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 4, 2003, 12:55 PM   #1

Default Anyone else having this problem?

Ok, its really wierd and its not really on topic, but I've been having a hellva time getting to the forums lately. I mean, I can get to steves digicams, but more often that not I get a page not found screen.

Anyone else having a simalir problem?
macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2003, 8:09 PM   #2

No problems here.....john
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 8:19 PM   #3

Sounds like a computer problem, Windows settings problem or possibly a browser settings problem, but I don't know how to fix other than to tell you to review all the settings. in IE6 under Tools in Internet options you have Temporary Internet settings and options, you could look there but take care not to mess anything/everything up.
mrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 10:10 PM   #4
Administrator

Delete your cache files periodically.

IE keeps a copy of all web pages visited. It checks the copy on your PC first, then compares it against the current web page you're visiting. So, if the dates are the same, it loads the page from your PC hard disk. Otherwise, it loads it from the internet, then stores the latest copy on your hard drive.

The problem, is that when too many pages get stored on your PC, it takes too long to search through them, to fnd the page you're visiting, and you get time out errors.

This is the most common problem associated with slow browsing and timeouts.

I clear my cache on a daily basis (I load lots of photos, etc., so my browser tends to slow down after about a day of usage). When I clear my cache, it speeds back up again.

With IE, go to Tools, Internet Options, the click on the Delete Files button. Also, check the "delete offline content box", then press OK.

It will delete your cached copies of web pages, and you'll see your browser speed up.

Another suggestion:

You likely have lots of "spyware" running on your PC. Most of it is probably harmless -- designed to keep track of your browsing habits for marketing purposes by sites you vist.

However, this does tend to slow your PC down, especially when lots of it is installed. Most people do not realize how much "spyware/adware" is running on their PC's.

I use Spybot Search and Destroy (to remove/guard against Spyware and Adware). It's free, and finds "adware/spyware" that many other packages miss. Before I used Spybot, I used "Ad-aware" -- a product from Lavasoft -- whcih only caught some of these problems (mostly cookies).

Spybot Search and Destroy is better, and you'll be surprised at how much adware/spyware you've got on your PC. I don't think that most people realize how much their privacy is being invaded (or understand the risks involved if you have any "malicious" Spyware on your PC). Fortunately, in most cases this "Spyware/Adware" is only gathering information for marketing purposes, but malicious spyware could "ruin your day" -- if not your life.

Spybot S&D is downloadable free from here:

http://www.safer-networking.org/

I also suggest a couple of other programs (all free) to better safeguard your PC from problems. See this forum thread for details:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6142377
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2003, 4:36 PM   #5

Thanks for the help JimC.

It seems that doing what you suggested has also taken care of a couple other lagging problems I had.
macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2003, 5:41 PM   #6
Administrator

No problem.

If you used Spybot Search and Destroy, make sure to download the latest updates for the best results.

Note: your PC may appear to "hang" for a while when you download the updates --- this is normal -- it's just because the download site is busy.

Also, after removing all of the adware/spyware, make sure to select the "Immunize" option, to protect your PC from these programs reinstalling themselves.

Run it periodically for best results. You'd be surprised at how much adware can slow down your PC.

Also, delete your cache (temporary internet files) often. This helps keep your browser from slowing down too much.

Ironically, the whole idea behind temporary internet files is to speed up your browser (by loading the local copy from your PC, if it is just as current as the page you're visiting).

However, most sites now generate HTML for the pages you visit "on the fly", so caching of web pages hurts more than it helps -- especially when too many pages are kept locally.

I delete my cache at least once per day for best browsing speed.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote